OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will " Mega Mosquitos" Affect Poult Survival?

Started by quavers59, September 19, 2021, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Up here in New York State- we have had mega rains and Flooding since the Spring. The result is a " Biblical Horde" of Small,fast + aggressive  Skeeters.
  I live on a Dead end- last house. I step out and and the  Skeeters are on me. And these little Skeeters will welt you up you will be itching big time within 5 minutes.
    Now,I have been feeding generations of Turkeys for 8 years down past my dead end road- ( no hunting allowed  in this area).
   Currently  feeding 2 Brood Hens with 9 Poults + 1 Lonely Jake. From what,I can see- the Turkeys are not being bothered by the Skeeters. The Skeeters instead make a  Beeline for me- lol.
     Actually  in New York- the number of Broods seen is at least average if not better this year. The cooler Temps of Fall are just coming now. 1 good Frost will kill the Skeeters.
  Looks like the Skeeters prefer Deer + Man over the Turkeys.
  What Do You All Think?

guesswho

I've seen turkeys in the South with what I think they called it sore head, could be wrong on that.   But it is round sores on the head and around their eyes.   You can peel it off and it looks like it has little roots started.   I was told it is from mosquitos.   But really have no idea.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

the Ward

I saw a documentary about large,aggressive mosquitoes once, i think it was on the science-fy channel? Lets just say i take a lot more ammo with me in the turkey woods these days.

GobbleGitr

Buffalo gnats (black flies) are very problematic for domestic poultry.  Can't imagine their harassment and assault on turkey poults doesn't have some impact.

bigriverbum

Quote from: the Ward on September 20, 2021, 11:59:40 AM
I saw a documentary about large,aggressive mosquitoes once, i think it was on the science-fy channel? Lets just say i take a lot more ammo with me in the turkey woods these days.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/e6887b6d2bf12e8328266f721fe6e76e/tumblr_inline_nw2zmt2Cde1qa1eat_540.jpg