turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Younger Generation/Older Generation Obligations

Started by Jstocks, August 31, 2021, 11:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstocks

Just some wandering thoughts, but somewhat serious.

For the younger guys (let's say under 35):
Do you guys want mentorship in life?

For example, let's say that you are noticeably aggressive in your posts, always thread hijacking, responding to posts with answers that were not solicited. Would you want one of the older guys to tell you how it is coming off to others, or would you rather go on being your arrogant self imparting your seeming less endless years of wisdom on the rest of us while unbeknownst to yourself making a fool?

For the older guys (35 up):
Is it this age groups obligation to set the lads straight, whether they ask for it or not?
Publicly?
Privately?

This pertains to all subjects on the forum(hunting, shooting, dealing with life, etc)

scattergun

No. Not you or anybody else has any obligation to impose your views upon anyone else, unless you are asked. Since you asked, this thread comes off as self righteous, and condescending. Keep your eyes on your own bobber.

eggshell

nope...leave them alone to play with their own junk.

Never argue with a fool, he'll wear you down and beat you with experience.

Thy're good for a laugh and it's not just young. There are enough derailers in all age groups. Actually I see very few here, this is a reasonably good bunch of people.

Jstocks

Quote from: scattergun on August 31, 2021, 11:59:25 PM
No. Not you or anybody else has any obligation to impose your views upon anyone else, unless you are asked. Since you asked, this thread comes off as self righteous, and condescending. Keep your eyes on your own bobber.

Just to be clear, since possibly it was taken the wrong way, this post was about mentorship from two age groups:

Does age group A) seek it?
Does age group B) seek to give it?

That's it.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

silvestris

I don't know, somehow the young punks somehow have a lttle to bring to the table.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tom007

Quote from: eggshell on September 01, 2021, 04:52:57 AM
nope...leave them alone to play with their own junk.

Never argue with a fool, he'll wear you down and beat you with experience.

Thy're good for a laugh and it's not just young. There are enough derailers in all age groups. Actually I see very few here, this is a reasonably good bunch of people.

Agreed. Age group really doesn't matter. This forum is a platform to share knowledge and experiences. Most of the people participate and contribute in this manner. There are rare occurrences where some use it to throw out jabs and innuendos about things they may not agree with. All in all, the majority of member here share it constructively with good intentions. This is the only platform I enjoy, the other media sites out there, (we all know who they are) lend themselves to be more in line with aggressiveness and controversy....have a great day....
"Solo hunter"

THattaway

Op,
Since you asked yes I feel an obligation to help a fella out where I can. I'm talking about hunting and life problems where I have experience and not the silly internet behavior.  Am glad to share it and mostly when it's asked for. I had more than my share of good people who helped me along the way, indebted to them and try to pay it forward. Sometimes a kind word can get someone through a darn rough spot.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Tom007

Quote from: THattaway on September 01, 2021, 07:57:29 AM
Op,
Since you asked yes I feel an obligation to help a fella out where I can. I'm talking about hunting and life problems where I have experience and not the silly internet behavior.  Am glad to share it and mostly when it's asked for. I had more than my share of good people who helped me along the way, indebted to them and try to pay it forward. Sometimes a kind word can get someone through a darn rough spot.

Amen my friend.....
"Solo hunter"

deerhunt1988

At 33, I still look for a bit of mentorship in life but I'm dang sure not going to seek it on social media.

10-20 years ago, I did find a lot of turkey hunting mentorship through forums. Joining a turkey forum at the age of 15 actually turned me into the turkey hunter that I am today. One of those mentors has even posted in this thread. 

But times have changed, and not for the best in regards to turkey hunting and social media.

ChiefBubba

I tend to be a mind my own business kind of man. If asked for help I may or may not give it, really depends on who's asking. As to your question the under 35 person you're describing isn't going to take advice from anyone because they already know all. So I'm not wasting time on them. Bubba

EZ

Quote from: THattaway on September 01, 2021, 07:57:29 AM
Op,

Very well said.
I've found that sometimes how I offer help makes the difference on how receptive someone may be.
Also, sometimes failure can be the best teacher, so I'm careful how much I "teach" someone.

And last, the older I get, the more I find out I don't know. Sometimes it's the mentor who learns something!!!!
It's all good.

Tail Feathers

I try to engage in civil discussion on here.  It's not my place to "set anyone straight".  I treat it kind of like going to someone's home, I'll keep it friendly.  I offer advice when solicited and I have something I think may help.  I just love to talk turkey on here.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

Depends on what my desired level of drama is for the day.  Those who know me know I'm a thinker,  and stirring the pot is one of my favorite pastimes.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Happy

I must have missed something. But thats nothing new to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club