News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First thought after hearing gobble

Started by jhoward11, August 10, 2021, 08:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: ol bob on August 10, 2021, 09:33:41 AM
If I see him or not, its been a good day.
I second that... any day I'm out there and I hear gobbling is a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

So a have a few things that go through my head depending on what I'm doing.

Pre season listening trying to locate birds:

Sitting on my tailgate waiting just before first light, getting ready to hear my first gobbles of the year...

As soon as I hear some gobbling I get filled with joy knowing the best time of the year is about to begin. And my day instantly is a good day from there on out.

First gobbles on the roost during season:

"It's show time!"

Trying to roost birds in the evening:

"Jack pot baby"

Middle of the day gobble:

"Ohhh someone wants to die"

GobbleNut

First thought:  Found a gobbler,...my day is already made!
Second first thought:  Pinpoint the location of the gobble (If he was close enough, I will know on the first gobble. If not, I will wait for a second gobble,...or a third,...or until I am certain I know generally where the gobble is coming from)
Third first thought:  Now that I know where he is, how do I approach him and where do I want to be based on the terrain and circumstances
Fourth first thought:  Can't wait to see how this plays out!

Moneyball11

*Aggressive finger point in the direction of the gobble*

wolfman

Quote from: JeffC on August 10, 2021, 12:19:48 PM
Same here" Did I hear a Gobble??", hope to hear 2nd gobble to confirm, direction and distance then GAME ON!!
That's exactly mine as well.  Unless I was lucky enough to get tight without knowing it.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on August 10, 2021, 03:00:15 PM
So a have a few things that go through my head depending on what I'm doing.

Pre season listening trying to locate birds:

Sitting on my tailgate waiting just before first light, getting ready to hear my first gobbles of the year...

As soon as I hear some gobbling I get filled with joy knowing the best time of the year is about to begin. And my day instantly is a good day from there on out.

First gobbles on the roost during season:

"It's show time!"

Trying to roost birds in the evening:

"Jack pot baby"

Middle of the day gobble:

"Ohhh someone wants to die"

^^^^

Sir-diealot

Might sound stupid but after losing hunting for so long it is "Thank you God for letting me be out here again, even if I do not get one at least I got to hear one"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TRG3

While hearing that first gobble of the morning gets the heart pumping, I wait for the second or third gobble from that same bird because there's sometimes a tom closer than the first one to open up. If I hurry to the first gobble I hear, I can bump a closer bird that might also bump the first one to gobble. I know because I had this happen once.

TonyTurk

"Is he across the property line or not?"

Tail Feathers

The first thought is YES!!  Usually followed by "Gobble again so I can get a fix!"
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Beards and Hooks

My first thought during season. Is he's mine, unfortunately most the time he isn't.

Wigsplitter

turkey_picker

How far and what is between us while I wait on him to gobble again.

Zobo

"Okay, don't screw this up....again"
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.