OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blastomycosis in dogs

Started by Paulmyr, August 03, 2021, 09:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Antibiotics didn't work. Had biopsies last Thurs along with blasto test and a thyroid panel. Dog is still acting normal. No symptoms except for lesions that heal over after original cysts(?) rupture. Takes about a month but the underlying cyst(?) remains. Hopefully get some answers by the end of this week.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

Update. I spent close to a grand to get biopsies and blasto test and a thyroid panel. A week later the vet calls with the results. The lesions are histosomething something granular something something and they don't know what's causing it. She starts going into the plan on what to do next when I politely cut her of and say " you know doc I'll be danged if the lesion arent almost gone along with the underlying condition. She cant believe it. After 3 months what ever this stuff was has completely gone away on its own. The only sign you can see of anything is some small discoloration of the skin where here hair meets the rhinarium from the biopsy. All the lesions have healed and the hair has grown back. The only thing that I know about what happened is the the reinforcement that treating sick pets can be damn expensive.

Vet had me send her before and after pics because she's bewildered and wants to check with a dermatologist in case the symptoms come back or if she sees it again in some other patient. The best we could come up with was an allergic reaction to something. Maybe just coincidence but the symptoms she displayed coincided with a severe drought we were having. The swamps around the cabin were completely dry. Some type of fungus/pollen from something that grew in the dry swamps? Who knows? When the drought ended the symptoms went away. Well at least I can be thankful it wasn't something serious. I was a little stressed not knowing what was going on and having the thought that I may lose my hunting buddy years to soon.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sir-diealot

Glad to hear she is doing better anyway.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Goodtimekiller

It would be interesting to see exactly what it was. But great to hear the dog is doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

Some type of fungus could actually be the case. Kinda like athletes foot, just shows up, sticks around for a while and then leaves.

Glad your buddies doing good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk