turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

For the Old timers/ early mentors, calls and gear when you started

Started by eggshell, August 03, 2021, 08:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

Someone posted a comment about how many hunters still use the same techniques and gear from 50 years ago. I replied with a comment about it and that I still pretty much used much of the same gear and approach. Made me wonder when we all started and how we hunted. what gear did we have and who was our early mentors and some early calls.

I am pretty sure my first year was 1971
An old Va turkey hunter gave me a striker box ( I guess you'd call it a snuff box) called a Rhodes Turkey call.
Season was 3 days long, you applied for a draw and could take a buddy, tag was free

I hunted family land and heard one gobbler, killed zero. I actually called the gobbler in, but my buddy wasn't sure it was a gobbler as it came in silent and it spooked before we could shoot it.

I had zero camo. I wore a brown or green pair of slacks with a green plaid flannel shirt

The next year I bought a army surplus field coat in standard camo pattern

I hunted with a Remington model 17 20 ga pump gun with 2 3/4 shells.

I think it took me 3 years to shoot a gobbler and I lost him as a cripple.

The next year I bought an 870 wingmaster, but still 2 3/4 chamber.

somewhere around 1974/75 I was in college studying wildlife mngt and the center for Ohio's turkey research was just a few miles from campus and we had a couple classes there. I also worked for Ohio Division of Forestry part Time. I got to know the main turkey biologist of the day that fostered the reintroduction of Wild turkey in Ohio (Bob Donahoe). One day just before season Bob told me he was having a National Champion turkey caller come do a seminar on turkey hunting at the center, the day before season. So I was there with bells on. The guy's name was Lew McClure (5 time Ohio champ and National champ) and he used this thing called a diaphragm call. I was amazed and bought one from him. No one I knew had ever heard of them and I set about learning to make some calls on it, probably horrific screaming sounds. I quickly wore it out, but I wrote Lew and he sent me a couple more. then others wanted them and I asked if I could deal them and he said yes. So I sold calls for Lew for several years. I think I got fairly good with them. By then I had joined a NWTF chapter in the mid 70s. My chapter members talked me into entering the state contest and I did with high hopes. I had no idea what I was in for. I got schooled pretty good, there were names in that contest I later learned were big hitters. A couple were Dick Kirby and a young upstart called Rob Keck. I can say both pulled me aside and encouraged me and told me all I needed was practice and they thought I was one of the better amateurs, but that was my last and only calling contest. I focused on hunting.

I progressed and our birds flourished. My buddy and I spent those early years doing enough research on all the ways to screw up a turkey hunt,as possible. We could have written a book on what not to do. I first traveled to west Va. on an out of state hunt in the late 70s and was surprised to find Lew McClure staying in the same lodge we were in.

I worked for The "Bill Boatman Company" in those days. He ran a sporting goods store and mail order business that was a precursor to Cabelas. He focused on hunting dog supplies, but I talked him into handling turkey hunting  gear. They made "Greenbriar hunting clothes . In 1979 I left that job and returned to Ohio DNR as a Fish Hatchery Tech. I would later become Superintendent of that facility for 22 years. That is significant because we were in the heart of turkey country and I ran a turkey check station for 30 years there. We also helped the turkey trapping crews in winter. The place was a hub for turkey hunters every spring. Many big names came through there, like Dick Kirby, Knight and Hale, Rob Keck and others.

My buddy I spoke of was a business man who loved Ruffed Grouse and Quail hunting. He purchased 1,000 acres next to our family farm and hired my dad to farm it and me to help him turn it into his private WMA. We had a great population of quail and grouse and turkey were coming on fast. We learned to hunt them together.. He paid nationally known biologist to come and consult on his farm, so I met many big names in game mngt. One day he told me he had a novel idea, he had called a guy named Ben Rodgers Lee and asked him if he could teach him to turkey hunt if he paid him and Ben said yes. So off he went to spend a week with Ben Rodgers Lee, but I couldn't afford to go. However, when he came back he had Ben's number and we'd call him when we screwed up. Now, that seems pretty neat.

The years have changed a lot, but I still approach my turkey hunting the same. I could have never envisioned what turkey hunting would become. In those early days it was a major feat to bag a gobbler, almost like winning a Olympic medal. I never foresaw the day I would just expect to kill multiple birds every year and hunt 8 states in my life. Yup turkey hunting has been good to me. If I die tomorrow I have no reason to complain

culpeper

Eggshell,  This is simply outstanding and I appreciate/respect everything you said and for the interest you had to post it.  So many of us, I highly suspect, either don't have, or lost the connection that you have with so much history hunting wild turkeys.  At 63 now I didn't hunt turkey when I was younger, but so wish I did.
Thanks for this great story

Tom007

Started turkey hunting in 1980 in PA. Started hunting New Jersey when it started in 1981. I learned to use a mouth call while listening to a Knight & Hale instructional cassette tape. My early gear was the following: Quaker Boy Double Reed mouth call, Lynch 102 box call, Tiger Stripe Camo from Army Navy Store, Herman Survivors boots, Remington 1100 12 gauge 30 inch barrel Full Choke, #4 Shot Remington Duck/Pheasant loads, 10X Strap turkey vest. This was my early gear. Once I leaned that "Patience" and limited calling gets birds, I started enjoying this great sport right through today, never missing an opening day......Eggshell, thanks for sharing the great story.....

GobbleNut

Great history, eggshell!  Although I hate to be labeled an "old timer", it is becoming more and more clear to me that the reality of where I am at in life makes me fit quite snugly into that group!   ::) :D

My history is very similar to yours in many respects, although I must admit that my history even goes back a few more years than yours does. The wildlife educational background, working with our wildlife agency (although not as an employee, but as what one might call an "unpaid advisor and participant"), interaction with some of the historical "greats", dabbling in the competition calling circuit, and of course, my own development as a passionate spring gobbler hunter,....all of the elements are very similar, although taking place in a location far-removed from your own.  The passion that was fueled by this marvelous creature we call the wild turkey is the glue that bonds all of us together, regardless of our chronological age differences. 

As for "hunting-style" changes, other than upgrading my equipment and accessories to meet the times over the decades, I can honestly state that my approach has pretty much remained the same.  That is, find a gobbling turkey, engage him in a conversation, and see where it ends up.  That approach has been moderately successful over the years,...and I see no reason, nor have any desire, to change it at this point in time.  As I have stated many times before, if he does not want to gobble for me, and carry on that conversation, he can just stay in the woods as far as I am concerned!  I can buy a silent gobbler at the grocery store any time I want,...and he is just about as much fun as a live, wild one that does not want to talk.

As for age as it relates to turkey hunting, although I will hit the big Seven-0 in just a few months, I still try to hunt like I am half that age. That is admittedly becoming more and more difficult with each passing year, but I guess I have also reached the "Determined Old Fart" stage such that I just keep pushing my body, both physically and mentally, in an effort to convince myself that I am still in my 30's,...or at least my 50's!   ;D

Regardless, I have every intention of keeping at it until as close to my very last breath as I can.   :icon_thumright:

Greg Massey

The good old times, those were definitely the early years, my gear was 12 ga. shotgun shooting 2 3/4 number 4 lead duck loads still have few of those shells. My calls were homemade snuff can calls with pieces of condom's for the diaphragm, turtle shell with piece of slate glued inside the shell and gourd with piece of small cane for the striker and small piece of slate. I keep the gourd striker in a piece of pvc pipe to keep from breaking the thing. Really didn't have any camo starting out other than couple pieces of old army surplus clothing and flannel shirts and jeans. My first real set of camo was Tree Bark. Back in those early years it was hard to find a turkey to hunt, we did a lot of traveling around our state WMA, forestry land to fine a flock of turkeys. You were lucky to hear 1 - 3 gobblers a year. I didn't kill a gobbler on those first few early years, like others said i was learning from all the mistakes i was making. Finally about my  third or fourth year i found some birds on a piece of forestry land that you could buy 10 dollar permit from the company and hunt, i keep this a secret, because back in those days YOU didn't tell anyone you had found a flock of turkeys. My first gobbler came of that piece of forestry land and it was Jake, i felt like i had won the lottery that morning killing that Jake. I was so proud of my accomplishment in killing that Jake. Little did i know that was the start of my obsession of turkey hunting, learning and becoming involved in our local NWTF chapter and call buying and collecting. Those early memories are still some of the best memories and i still laugh at all those mistakes in trying to kill a gobbler. Yes as hunters we don't realize how good we have it sometimes and how we have grown in learning to turkey hunt. GOOD OR BAD HEARING THAT FIRST GOBBLER SOUND OFF ON THOSE OPENING SPRING MORNING'S STILL MAKES THE HAIR ON THE BACK OF MY NECK STAND UP. GOD BLESS THE WILD TURKEY AND THOSE BEAUTIFUL SUNRISE AND SUNSETS LET US NOT FORGET..

tal

I wasn't fortunate enough to go with someone who knew what they were doing. I did pick the brains of some household names now but I was on my own. I used a tube call and a cheap plexi-glass pot call. Managed to call up a couple but blew it learning what it was like to "sit" to a turkey. I finally killed one my third year. The LBL is not the best place to learn and have success but the lessons stay with you. My camo was stuff brought home from the military. I still shoot lead and a bead sight.

WildTigerTrout

Started hunting in Pennsylvania in 1972 at age 12.  My equipment was very limited.  I did not have my own shotgun until 1973, a Christmas present from my parents.  It was a H&R "Topper" single shot 20 ga. modified choke.  I used Winchester Super X 3" Magnum loads with #4 shot.  My camo consisted of a shirt and pant set in the old WW II pattern.  The only call I owned was a Lynch "World Champion" box call that my parents got me for Christmas also.   I used camo paint on my hands and face.   I remember having an old Jones style hat in the same WW II pattern.  Was not very successful but learned a lot during those early years. Turkeys were not very abundant then but easier to call then now.  Spring turkey was new to Pennsylvania as the first season had just taken place in 1968 just five years before.   I miss those days!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

fallhnt

Had to travel out of state. We had no spring season in my area. We did have fall archery season for turkeys. It was accepted that you find em,flush em and call em in during the fall. Tall order with a bow. Never worked out for me even with a gun. Scout,set up and call em in is the only thing I've charged for fall. Spring is same too. Still use my same 12ga. shotgun with 3in. shells.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bobk

My first Turkey hunt was in 1968, at the age of 12. I was mentored by my uncle and a neighbor,  both were excellent hunters. Started with  a loaner 870 with 2 3/4 " shells. A few years later a got my own 870. Did not have any camo , except for a Jones Style hat.  Used a canvas barn coat if the weather was cold. Got a head to toe Mossy Oak camo outfit in the late 70's.+/-  The camo did not make any difference in my success. Began with a small piece of slate and a hand whittled striker.My first store bought call was a Lynch Jet Slate. Turkey numbers were not very high, but it seemed that they all wanted to play. I am still successfully using the same hunting techniques with minor updates.
Those were fantastic days to be roaming the mountains.

bbcoach

I consider myself an Old Timer / Old F... when it comes to age (64) but I'm a Youngun when it comes to huntin these Birds.  I started hunting these critters in 2007 when the populations were on the rise in Eastern NC and we had a few birds on our lease.  Killed my first bird in April 2009 with a Remington 1100 loaded with a 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/2oz load of lead #5's that I had reloaded for ducks (when lead was still legal).  I used a cheap plastic slate pot call and laminated striker (which I use to this day) to get the job done at 29 yards.  Since, getting hooked, I've had the privilege to Retire, get a dedicated turkey gun and do some traveling to other states to chase these Critters.  Old Timer by Age / Youngun to Turkey Hunting, with plenty to learn!  GREAT post Eggshell.

wchadw

I started probably around 79 or so. I used camo but only option really was old military camo.
Sat on a bunz warmer bean bag sorta seat
Used lynch jet slate call and a 50s era Ithaca 20 ga with #4 lead shot

Still got the jet slate, Ithaca 20 and the bunz warmer. Camo doesn't fit anymore....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotspur

I've always wanted to be a turkey hunter. Family vacations thru alabama I remember seeing turkeys struting in every clearing along I -10 in the 70s. 1983 I was able to drive. Borrowed dad's truck and took off. My first hunt was on public land, I called up another hunter crawling in to my set up, that spooked me. The next week called in a gobbler with a lynch world champ and was hooked for life. I still wear military camo, still shoot an 870, mostly lead . I have tried many calls, shells, techniqes . But mostly stick to the basics, and have learned some tricks . I have some calling tactics that bring them in. I enjoy turkey hunting more than any other hunting.

guesswho

I have upgraded my pants (bigger waste size) and shirt.  Have also upgraded from paper hull shells to plastic hulls.  Killed many a turkey with the old paper shells though.   I no longer use the old PS Olt scratch call, but do still have it.  I still use a homemade cane call, but have added diaphragms as well.   I still use the same old Win 37 in a 20 from time to time, but mostly use a SA459 in a 20 or a 301T in a 410.  And I have replaced my tennis shoes with modern day crocs on a lot of hunts.  Hunt style is still basically the same, call'n and bobcat'n, nothing fancy.  We didn't have any mentors, so we winged it.  I noticed something about turkey hunters at an early age back then.  It was funny, we hunted a 100,000 acre WMA.  On a typical weekend you might see four camps, roughly 6 to 8 hunters.  We would always stop and talk to other camps, and they did the same.  It was always asked "you seen or heard anything"?   Without fail the answer would be nope.  Sometimes someone may say they seen a track in the road on the other side of the WMA.   But what I found odd was when we would check out for the weekend we would ask how many turkeys were killed that weekend.   It was always 4 to about 8, including what we checked in :TooFunny:  But when asked, nobody ever killed anything.   I wish it was somewhat like that today, although I do like seeing pictures of the turkeys people kill, less some of the props. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3bailey3

Howie g

Starting hunting gobblers with my grandpa around 78 around home on the La / Ms southwest region . I had some great mentors growing up around the late Ken Morgan / my grandpa and several others . They taught me the basics on how to get the drop on gobblers , but I learned the majority through trial and and error while being dropped off on weekends and holidays in the middle of a huge tract of sw ms government, camped and hunted with a life long buddy that I still hunt with today . We learned on our own , mostly by mistakes ! But man we had some fun learning woods skills and even killing a few gobblers with our " Morgan " tubes and home made box calls . I killed my lst few with a double barrel 20 ga . #4 shot was all knew to hunt with .
I basically hunt them the same way today , Yelp em up , or use woods skills .  I'm getting old ! So in reckon I'm old school !?!?!