OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Poult production  (Read 1152 times)

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
Poult production
« on: July 10, 2021, 12:39:17 PM »
What is the average poult survival rate? I have seen multiple hens with 2/3 poults recently. Thinking that is low. Could have been many things I guess. Egg stealers, predators or human interaction. Any thoughts ore data? Thanks , Al

Offline turkeymanjim

Re: Poult production
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 02:04:56 PM »
70 % will die from egg to when they can fly to roost. That is around 70 days.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 02:30:06 PM »
I heard a successful hatch is something like 1-2 poults making it. It’s low unfortunately, but the birds have the odds stacked against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »
On my in-laws farm we have two hens going around with 12-15 poults. On this property that is not all that unusual, but predators are kept in check and there is ample food sources and nesting/cover for protection.

It all comes down to habitat and food chain balance, IMO.

Here is a photo from the other day, some popped into the corn before we could snap the photo.

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 07:22:37 PM »
looks like some great habitat!

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 08:02:57 PM »
Turkeys have a very hard road for survivability.  They lay their eggs on the ground and those eggs are a meal for many predators.  If they do hatch, they have to make it until they can fly and or run fast enough to escape danger.  I've heard with the loss of eggs and predators getting some of the living poults, turkeys are lucky to have 20% make it to maturity.  That is why we normally see 2 or 3 poults with a single hen.  IMO, this is the primary reason turkey numbers stay low.  I saw 3 hens together this morning and they had 5 poults total.  If all three laid eggs this spring, that isn't very good numbers.     

Offline AndyH

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 08:05:56 PM »
I read the other day the 10 year average in Ohio is 2.6 poults per hen and last spring it was 2.7 poults per hen. I would imagine it’s probably fairly close to that anywhere you go

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »
Missouri has some great surveys listed on their MDC site, unfortunately they have been experiencing some low survival rates recently.

Think about it, a single hen has to produce at least 2 that survive to grow the flock, under that she is just replacing herself basically.

Poults can fly in as little as 8 days, to as many as 14, surely there is some variance but those are the numbers I remember, no way it is 70!

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 08:49:42 PM »
We have been under 1 poult per hen for some time now.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 06:36:12 PM »
Saw 3 bunches today. 1 hen with 5 poults, 2/3, 1/3. 3-4 average. That’s only one area. Seems like less other areas

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 06:13:20 AM »
2.5 poults per hen and you have a stable population.  Anything less its a declining population. Not all hens have a successful brood or hatch.