OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Genetic Stagnation  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Jimspur

Re: Genetic Stagnation
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2021, 08:21:31 PM »
Everywhere they get hunted as hard. Googans and unrelenting pressure on certain ground in every state that has Turkeys ;) My theory on genetics is real simple. Turkeys that are not pounded as much, for the most part, are more easy to kill. Turkeys that receive unrelenting hunting pressure, both in and out of season, become more educated.  These two different types of Turkeys breed and create more of their kind. Mother nature, the Indians, nor us, have been able to completely wipe them out in certain areas of the Country. These rugged South Appalachian Mountains, as well as the Big Cypress Swamp, are two such places. There are some places they are just not meant to be ;)

So the question is - are those turkeys in the South Appalachian Mountains, Big Cypress,
and I'll throw Francis Marion National Forest in there, are these turkeys smarter than
others, or did they not get killed out due to the roughness of the terrain, and
being harder to get around and get close to a bird.
Maybe it's a little of both.
What are your thoughts?

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 12:50:36 AM »
I have a hard time buying into the genetic stagnation theory. Turkeys travel, mate with different turkeys, and exchange new and changing genes. While there is a definite decline in turkey numbers, other factors like increasing popularity of turkey hunting, habitat loss, predator numbers increasing, etc., also factor in. I don't think the decline can be solely attributed to any one factor.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 08:13:49 AM »
I will agree to a little of both.

Fair enough.

I have a hard time buying into the genetic stagnation theory. Turkeys travel, mate with different turkeys, and exchange new and changing genes. While there is a definite decline in turkey numbers, other factors like increasing popularity of turkey hunting, habitat loss, predator numbers increasing, etc., also factor in. I don't think the decline can be solely attributed to any one factor.

I don't think genetic stagnation is the answer to the decline of turkeys either.
Just wanted others opinions on it. When you look at everything turkeys have
going against them, it's like a perfect storm.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 03:45:55 PM »

When you look at everything turkeys have
going against them, it's like a perfect storm.

:icon_thumright:

Offline saltysenior

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 07:24:45 PM »

that the well documented disappearance of large flocks in a short period could be attributed to one factor........disease.