OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: Decoys  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Life of Riley

Re: Decoys
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 02:05:27 AM »
I didn't have a mentor as I first got into turkey hunting. So most advice I got on decoys was off the internet. I think it's pretty simple when to use or not use one. In open fields where a turkey has great vision and often you will not be able to move once a tom is spotted use decoys. Hunting in woods or terrain that has lots of elevation change there isn't much point at all using them. From what I've read it seems decoys are more common in upper midwest farm country. Guys hunting swamps, hardwoods, bluffs, etc. don't seem to use decoys as often.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 02:32:39 PM »
At first glance, I would never have thought that the Funky Chicken decoy would work, but over the past few years it's the only one that hasn't spooked a gobbler from coming on in. Usually a strutter or jake decoy will be effective, but I've also seen them stop a gobbler at 60+ yards and refuse to come on in, based on the peck order I suppose. My typical set up is a Funky Chicken a couple of yards behind a hen in the breeding position set about 25 yards away at the edge of a field with me a couple of yards back into the woods against a tree and behind a camo net. I'll set up about 30 minutes before first light and usually stay there until shooting time expires at 1 p.m. daily. Especially after the gobblers are henned up and won't come in at fly down, I've taken many later up in the morning as they look for other hens to breed after the real ones have gone off to nest. I catch up on my napping during the lull between fly down and late morning.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 07:41:56 PM »
Might as well stick a used Coke can stuck on a limb.

Offline owlhoot

• 2021 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 07:50:03 PM »
Might as well stick a used Coke can stuck on a limb.

Budweiser works just a tad better  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2021, 11:15:31 PM »
You need the bright red of the Coke can to get their attention.  The white interspersed with the red only serves to confuse or alarm the gobbler.  One has to be careful when dealing with the instinctive behavior of the gobbler.