OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Box Call Advice Needed UPDATE  (Read 4046 times)

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
Re: Box Call Advice Needed
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 07:21:38 PM »
Very glad to have Mike Crooks of Spring Creek Turkey Calls volunteer his time and expertise to try to tune this call and make it a functional box call.

Thanks Mike !!
That is awesome Mike is willing to take a crack at it. Please keep us posted on how it comes out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2021, 07:22:40 PM »
Id bet a million bucks Marlin Watkins could tune it!!! is there anybody out there who uses more different varieties of wood so you know he can finesse a sound eventually out of anything.
give him a call or combine it sending it to him with ordering one from him too. that way you get a great call and a restored call at the same time.
Marlin could make wet cardboard sound like a turkey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline GunRunner

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 12:49:29 PM »
UPDATE:

As mentioned earlier, Mike Crooks of SPRING CREEK TURKEY CALLS graciously volunteered to take a look at my box call and see if he could tune and improve it. I gratefully sent the call to his Michigan shop.

Mike disassembled the call and lightly sanded the lid and rails. He reassembled it with a smaller screw to allow more canting of the lid.  From there he applied Rain Chalk and tuned the call. The major issue he found was the rail thicknesses were very thin at almost 40 thousandths less than what Mike considers normal rail thicknesses. This will not allow for a smooth 2 note high to low yelp and that is why it sounds so bad. Mike did indeed improve the call with his tuning efforts and the call sounds better than ever, but due to the thin rails it will not earn a spot in my ol’ tattered vest. 

But no worries there …. during the course of working with Mike, I noticed the great work he does on his Spring Creek Box Calls and I have now procured one of his beautifully crafted short boxes that sounds great and will fit in my vest pocket very nicely next spring.

Kudos to Mike Crooks and Spring Creek Turkey Calls !!

GunRunner
  :turkey:

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Box Call Advice Needed UPDATE
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 01:10:33 PM »
 :happy0064: :happy0064:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 03:33:22 PM »
And, there ya have it !!!!

Another (eventually) satisfied customer on OG.    :you_rock:

Big shout out to Mike for a rock solid performance all around !!!!!    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 03:42:33 PM »
Good deal!
Hats off to Mike for taking this on.
Thank you for following up and not leaving us hanging.