OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Watkins Exodus  (Read 4255 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Watkins Exodus
« on: June 11, 2021, 02:14:17 PM »
Recently the classifieds have been flooded with Watkins and his protégé TJ Johnson's calls. As I recall a few years back these were calls everyone was trying to get. I guess I'm just wondering why this is the current state of things. Lotta great calls being rehomed!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Watkins Exodus
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 02:33:09 PM »
I think Covid has really messed with a lot of peoples finances and that is one reason, I know things have been going much cheaper on ebay lately, the things I have purchased anyway.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 02:42:02 PM »
I think most of it has to do with Covid and not everyone is a collector of calls..

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 02:56:05 PM »
Its simple, they used to be hard to get. Now they're not. Just call him up and you can have one by next week.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:19:25 PM by Southerngobbler »

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 03:13:19 PM »
Everyone has spent too much on guns and ammo. Also turkey season is over and naturally prices will go down. Even on greenleaf shotguns.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 03:13:36 PM »
Its simple, they used to be hard to get. Now there not. Just call him up and you can have one by next week.

:z-winnersmiley:
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 06:55:00 PM »
I don't believe covid has much to do with it. The supply is there as mentioned and I also think that when people get one of Marlin's box calls for the first time find that the sound of those calls tend to be more Barky/Raspy than many of the other box calls out there. I find that TJ's box calls are less raspy and the sound is more inline with the type of sounds I like.

This is just my opinion and I have been watching the sale of the calls as many others have been and asking myself the same thing and had conversations with others as to what they think the reason is for so many of those calls being posted lately.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:06:37 PM by Yelper »

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »
That's funny, I've never seen most people lose money on Marlin or T J calls regardless how they sound. I would say most people who are selling them need the money for other projects. IMO .. we always have after season sells including pot calls, strikers and such. IMO

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 07:50:33 PM »
Not long ago there was a heated thread about a few members getting a fiddle in the mail and same day dumping it in the classified section for a decent profit when Marlin's list was really long, or word on the street was Marlin wasn't taking new orders.

Marlin's calls have always popped up for sale on this board. Supply and demand. With TJ making a killer fiddle and Marlin's list not being months and months long, the two are supplying the demand.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 08:00:31 AM »
All well said here, I myself landed a fiddle from Marlin. Got his contact from a fine forum member. He got the call to me in a week. Had 6 to choose from. Availability makes people comfortable selling some off. It seems like the calls out there that are very difficult to buy, ie. Platz, Corder, Shannon push pins etc. rarely come up for sale. It seems to be related to supply availability and obviously quality. Be safe...
“Solo hunter”

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 10:04:23 AM »
I’ll say this, if you don’t have a box from marlin I’d recommend trying one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 01:22:12 PM »
I know mr marlin had some extras last year since there were no shows to sell at .. so he probably sold more on line , online buyers tend to be online sellers as well .. just my 2 cents .. 

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »
They all  are still selling and not at a loss.

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 02:43:40 PM »
Just think how much easier this is for Marlin. It would have to be stressful trying to take custom orders on calls. How many hours do you think he has wasted trying to make a certain combo because your buddy got that combo and it was awesome. Billy Buice just did this as well.

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 03:11:42 PM »
I have sure used Marlin and TJs boxes with success, highly recommend both...great guys and killer calls.