OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What is the best turkey shotgun for under $1200  (Read 4473 times)

Offline bcuda

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
What is the best turkey shotgun for under $1200
« on: June 09, 2021, 07:39:06 PM »
Hello everyone just wondering what your opinions of what would be the best Turkey shotgun for me under $1200.

Some things to consider:
  For me is I am in South Texas and will have quite a few long shots to make.
  I want a 12 gauge  with a 3 1/2 shell capability
  Also prefer one that has a factory applied camo

Thank you in advance for your suggestions !

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: What is the best turkey shotgun for under $1200
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:06:42 PM »
I'm not sure it is the best, but I had a Remington Versa max turkey in my shopping cart last January to buy, I decided to tell my father about it as they were $300 plus tax off price. He wanted it and there was one left.

I patterned it and shot it before season after he bought it, and I love that gun. If I were too find one,I'd buy it and I am not sure I would buy anymore 12 gauge turkey guns, other than it. I usually like vented rib barrels but that gun just fits and feels great.

Ps- I will buy more 12 gauges,It's an addiction.Happy shopping.I am shopping right now.

Offline bcuda

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »
It will be a while before I buy one as I am fixing to have a ton of medical bills coming my way.
So I can afford to wait a while like for a black Friday deal or something, figured I better know
what I want though that way when I see a deal I can jump on it. :funnyturkey:

Online HillclimberWV

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 08:30:47 PM »
I like my stoeger m3500. Its on the cheaper end but patterns and kills well with 3.5" lb xr #6. Really though not much benefit over the 3" longbeard it has just been easier for me to find the 3.5" version around here.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »
Benelli SBE2 or Franchi Affinity 3

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 09:18:42 PM »
Learn how to hunt and call turkeys. Focus on that instead of worrying about making so many "long shots".  Turkey Hunting is about calling birds in close not making long shots.

Offline bcuda

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 10:05:54 PM »
Learn how to hunt and call turkeys. Focus on that instead of worrying about making so many "long shots".  Turkey Hunting is about calling birds in close not making long shots.

Thank you for your input . I don't remember asking anyone if I if I should focus on how to hunt. I do know if I get one that hangs up here in TX at 40 yards I can take an ethical shot and not have to worry about wounding it and it running off to suffer and die somewhere else. By the way go to the general discussion and look at the sticky post titled (one rule) and read it. Hope you have a great year in 2022 Turkey hunting.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:33:45 PM by bcuda »

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 09:42:36 AM »
If I was going 3 1/2", I'd be looking hard at another M3500.  The one I had was a solid gun with good camo finish.  It shot to POA and the factory XF provided a solid 40yrd hunting pattern.  Mine was drill/tapped with base provided.  Trigger was a tad heavy, but for the cost I'd assume you could get a 'smith to lighten it if you wished.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »
Franchi Affinity Elite 3 in 20 ga.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 11:36:42 AM »
Winchester sx4 might be one to check out in that price range, it has the features you listed, and has slightly overbored barrel and takes Invector plus chokes. Should pattern good, gas operation for recoil, good track record for reliability, and is fairly light weight for a 12 gauge 3.5.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 12:29:25 PM »
Winchester sx4 might be one to check out in that price range, it has the features you listed, and has slightly overbored barrel and takes Invector plus chokes. Should pattern good, gas operation for recoil, good track record for reliability, and is fairly light weight for a 12 gauge 3.5.

I agree with this. A nice used SX3 or the newer SX4 are great choices. I own 3 of them and they became my dedicated turkey guns.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 06:50:56 PM »
Turkey hunting is about different things to different folks. You need to keep that in mind before coming off so rudely.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 07:09:38 PM »
First off ill say this...anything you want done with a 3.5" can most likely be done with a 3" gun. 3.5" shells don't allow you to kill any further than do 3" shells. The only difference is that a 3.5" shell USUALLY has more shot. A #6 pellet flying @ 1200 fps doesn't know if he's been shot from a 3" shell or a 3.5" shell ,he just knows he has more brothers & sisters flying with him....lol. You didn't mention what type ammo you would be shooting, so let's say it's TSS 9 shot. And let's say it's Apex's 3"  2.25 oz. load. There are 814 pellets in this load and it's well capable of killing past 40 yds. If you think you're going to be shooting past that then use an a # 8.5 or #8 pellet.
Now, for the gun...someone mentioned an SX4 or SX3 -both are great guns as is the tried and true SBE 3 or you might even find an old new stock SBE 2. A gun that has peaked my interest for awhile now are the Retay series shotguns
retayusa.com
They have a wide assortment of 12 &.20 gauge guns with barrels ranging from 28" to 22" on their turkey model.
Whatever you get, keep us apprised of your choice. Good luck!

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 07:48:05 PM »
I agree Bink. I stopped shooting 3.5" shells a long time ago. Brutal on the shoulder and no real advantage with today's chokes and loads.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Which Gun

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 10:18:22 AM »
Might not need 3 1/2” but with today’s market with shells being hard to get gives you options.