OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What is the best turkey shotgun for under $1200  (Read 4470 times)

Offline snoodcrusher

Re: What is the best turkey shotgun for under $1200
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 03:58:24 PM »
Learn how to hunt and call turkeys. Focus on that instead of worrying about making so many "long shots".  Turkey Hunting is about calling birds in close not making long shots.
I bet if the guy asked that question in a bar, he would not receive such chicken $hit replies.  Don’t think he asked for your self righteous opinion or to have his balls busted.  “Old school” ain’t about smart azz remarks and blowing your morality horn.   

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HillclimberWV

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 07:40:22 AM »
Might not need 3 1/2” but with today’s market with shells being hard to get gives you options.
It was much easier to find 3.5" turkey loads all spring than it was any other kind in my are of WV. 3" 12 and 20s were and are scarce.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline HillclimberWV

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 08:02:34 AM »
If I was going 3 1/2", I'd be looking hard at another M3500.  The one I had was a solid gun with good camo finish.  It shot to POA and the factory XF provided a solid 40yrd hunting pattern.  Mine was drill/tapped with base provided.  Trigger was a tad heavy, but for the cost I'd assume you could get a 'smith to lighten it if you wished.
MCARBO sells a trigger spring kit that drops it a couple lbs. Its only like $20.  It was really easy to install and made the trigger more enjoyable.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline 243kid

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 08:43:35 PM »
I have a Winchester Longbeard SX3 that l like a lot. Mated with a Rob Roberts .660 choke it shoots lights out with 3” or 3 1/2”.

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 08:26:32 AM »
I'll give you a straight answer...Mossberg 835 and use 3" not 3.5. You won't have any trouble hitting a hung up bird with this gun. I use 3" LB. If you are just dying to have shoulder surgery, than go with the 3.5. lol

Offline va_gobbler_chaser

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 06:02:29 PM »
Under $1200?

The Retay Turkey XT’s. They’re Benelli’s with more features out the box at lower price point.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
What is the best turkey shotgun for under $1200
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 10:13:56 AM »
If I had $1,200 to spend on a dedicated turkey gun I’d likely go $600 on the gun and $600 on choke, sights/optic, ammo. Plenty of fine guns, last you a lifetime guns, pumps and autos, in that $600 range. Not knocking the higher end autos, but this tends to be a one shot game and there’s plenty of mid range and lower end shotguns that will get it done season after season after season. And personally I WOULD buy the 3.5” gun. Nothing saying you need to shoot them but doesn’t affect cost and sure nice having options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jc69

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 12:31:53 PM »
My 16 year old son is truly a 1 gun man/kid.  We got him a Benelli super nova and he hunts squirrels, rabbits, crows,  turkey and he got to go duck hunting once this past year with it. Since he only uses this one shotgun, he has all the confidence in the world with it.  He's about 6'1 and only weights about 120lbs and has no problem with the 3 1/2 turkey loads in it.  He dropped one at 45 yards with it using 3 1/2s this year and the factory full choke.  His is in the Max 5 duck camo, but it really blends in good with field grass.  I really feel like the Super Novas are kind of overlooked when it comes to turkey hunting.  Shoots 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 and the comfort stock makes the 3 1/2 recoil bareable.  Simple to clean and comes with 3 chokes and camo for around $599

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 02:39:47 PM »
If I had $1,200 to spend on a dedicated turkey gun I’d likely go $600 on the gun and $600 on choke, sights/optic, ammo. Plenty of fine guns, last you a lifetime guns, pumps and autos, in that $600 range. Not knocking the higher end autos, but this tends to be a one shot game and there’s plenty of mid range and lower end shotguns that will get it done season after season after season. And personally I WOULD buy the 3.5” gun. Nothing saying you need to shoot them but doesn’t affect cost and sure nice having options.

I agree.  I have an old 835 that is really a one-shot pump because I haven’t been able to get the shell stop fixed.  I hunt with a shell in the chamber and one shell in my pocket.  Next year I’m planning on taking a 180 to a .410 single shot.  Mainly because it’s lighter and the concept of taking less in the woods with me is appealing.  There were a few times this year when I had to hold the 835 at-the-ready for what felt like hours at the time when I had birds on me.  My arms started shaking from holding the gun up so long when I was twisted and couldn’t rest it. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Online turkeymanjim

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2021, 07:49:40 PM »
I don't know if you are interested in pump guns, but the browning bps pumps are hard to beat on the pattern board.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk