OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shoot a double if it ended your season?

Started by mcw3734, June 07, 2021, 11:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoRon

wchadw

I don't. Usually if 2 come in together where I hunt it's 2 year olds. I leave one for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyN

Shoot 'em both and get in a little more crappie fishing than usual.

shatcher

Just one.  Hunt the other one another day or go to a different spot for number two.  Shooting two is just being a hog.

eggshell

I shot two in one set up once on the second day of a three day Out of State hunt in 2010. That was enough, just one for me from now on.

owlhoot

g8rvet

Depends on where I was and the turkey population in the area.  Have passed on a double many times in the past.  If on a place with abundant birds, I would double and not think twice about it.  I hunt with enough folks that being the guide would still keep me busy all season.  I have been the death of birds where I never pulled the trigger (I am sure I have also been the reason one was not carried out).  But it would just be a game time decision and I have always passed it up in the past, due to where I was hunting.  So I just don't know until it happens where every thing lines up right.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Southerngobbler

Shooting one at a set up is a beautiful thing.
Shooting two (or more) makes you a game hog.
If you have an abundance of them it might be OK but that's unlikely now days.

Kyle_Ott

I've done it a handful of times in the past but there's no way I'd ever do it again.

Turkey breeding dynamics are a complicated thing and removing 2 birds simultaneously, especially early in the season when most of the hens are not bred, in my opinion, is a terrible decision.

These days we make a concerted effort to kill one and leave multiple gobblers in the area after that harvest to ensure the hens are bred we have healthy carryover.

Most of the states that allow multiple birds to be killed in the same day are experiencing incredible population decline.  I think it's a bad policy from a sportsmanship and biological perspective. 

Hook hanger

If it was me I would kill both of them on the same day! The other one would die if I passed him up on that occasion. No sense being in the woods disturbing hens when I don't have too.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr