OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Turkey Specific Gun

Started by BrowningGuy88, May 31, 2011, 12:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

No problem.  And if you ever decide to go the Hevi-13 #7 route which is what I like to shoot, you may want to try and find a Star Dot choke.  Then you will have the ultimate choke for that load.  That choke will sing with them loads. 

BrowningGuy88

Well the deal has been made on the .695 Mad Max. I will be also be getting a SumToy and maybe a Pure Gold .670. I plan on getting the gun sometime this summer. I really like to buy my guns from my local place instead of big box stores so I am going to wait on him to get me one in.

ILIKEHEVI-13, I do not intend on shooting 7's or smaller unless they are handloads (then they will be TSS 9's). I just feel more comfortable with 6's or blends. Now I am not knocking 7's performance and I have two boxes myself, but after shooting the coyotes with the Nitro 4x5x7's and seeing the performance I want to keep some biger shot in the air for MY peace of mind.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That MAD Max choke will do you well.  It should give you a pretty good pattern from 20-40yds anyway and still probably kill a lot farther if you need to.  And I understand your load choice.  I always say if you don't have confidence in what your shooting, then by all means change to what you do.  Good luck and let us see some patterns when you get time.  Enjoy your new gun. 

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on June 01, 2011, 02:44:41 PM
That MAD Max choke will do you well.  It should give you a pretty good pattern from 20-40yds anyway and still probably kill a lot farther if you need to.  And I understand your load choice.  I always say if you don't have confidence in what your shooting, then by all means change to what you do.  Good luck and let us see some patterns when you get time.  Enjoy your new gun. 

Will do. Again thanks for the help and advice!

Daman

chatterbox

Daman,

You are gonna LOVE that 835! Best upgrade I ever did!

davisd9

We 835 guys love them for a reason!  Welcome to the club.  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: davisd9 on June 01, 2011, 08:11:43 PM
We 835 guys love them for a reason!  Welcome to the club.  Good Luck!

Thanks! I am itching to get my hands on it and put some H13 down range!

davisd9

I have an older 835 that I shot Hevi #6s out of this past season.  Planning on getting the exact same gun as you soon and trying the #6s and some Mag Blends.  The 6s were the 1-5/8 oz loads.  I am really hoping the Mag Blends work cause they just seem like the best choice logically to me and the way I hunt.  Also, know a great hunter that really likes them and that makes me want to try them more.  Good Luck again!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: davisd9 on June 01, 2011, 08:29:56 PM
I have an older 835 that I shot Hevi #6s out of this past season.  Planning on getting the exact same gun as you soon and trying the #6s and some Mag Blends.  The 6s were the 1-5/8 oz loads.  I am really hoping the Mag Blends work cause they just seem like the best choice logically to me and the way I hunt.  Also, know a great hunter that really likes them and that makes me want to try them more.  Good Luck again!

I believe you will like the new 835 a lot better than the old one! I had an old one for about three days one time. I bought it and shot it twice - kicked the hell out of me at 16, but I have beefed up since. My step-dad traded me for it and he shoots it with a Rhino and Nitros. He loves it, but the old style just did not do it for me! Love the new ones though.

natman

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on May 31, 2011, 01:10:28 PM
That "light" feeling won't be so nice when you start shooting heavy turkey loads through it.

I have a similar Mossberg 500 that's even lighter. I shoot 3" 2oz #4s through it. I sight it in from a standing rest while wearing a PAST pad. No problem there.

Once it's sighted in, I'll shoot it a maximum of three times in the spring and maybe once or twice in the fall. I will however carry it all day, every day I hunt. Actually the recoil isn't really so bad, just a big push you can roll with and the Mossbergs come with a nice cushy pad. I did shoot it with my back resting on a tree once. Won't make that mistake again! Ouch.

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on May 31, 2011, 01:10:28 PMUnless you are hung up on the Mossburg brand, I would suggest an 870sm... you can get the right gun already drilled and tapped..... never was a fan of ported barrels as they are just that much harder on the ears....

Mossbergs have come D&Ted for several years. Ported barrels don't bother me because I wear electronic ear muffs when I hunt. So should you.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97044-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B00009363P

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on May 31, 2011, 01:10:28 PMI know to each their own.... personally I am just not a fan of the Mossburg's.... had too many good experiences with my 870's.... mine get mid 200's with Hevi Mag Blends & IC.665 and 200+ with the Hevi 3.5/2.25/6's (@ 40 yds).

Best of luck with your new gun....

Nothing wrong with an 870 as long as you don't mind the excess weight.... ;D