OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Kee kee on scratch box?  (Read 4131 times)

Offline PNWturkey

Kee kee on scratch box?
« on: June 06, 2021, 01:36:35 AM »
I have watched many youtube scratch box tutorials but have not seen anyone demonstrate the kee kee...

Any tips/tricks for kee kee on a scratch box?  Thanks!

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Kee kee on scratch box?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 07:02:54 AM »
I have watched many youtube scratch box tutorials but have not seen anyone demonstrate the kee kee...

Any tips/tricks for kee kee on a scratch box?  Thanks!
  Practice, practice, practice. That being said not all scratch boxes have the ability to kee kee. I have one that I made a few years back that does a great job running kee kee calls amongst other things and have used it many times on fall hunts. I also made two shorter calls for this years spring hunt and they will kee as well. Sound boards make the difference. The three calls mentioned have persimmon, holly or maple sound boards. Not saying these are the only woods that will work but the harder mid range woods seem to lend themselves to doing kee kee calls than say cedar. Just my opinion and what have have experience with in the woods but yes you can kee kee on a scratch box.

Offline richard black

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 07:17:51 AM »
As callmakerman said, practice practice practice. I just purchased a Tim Sandford scratch box that I can kee kee on. But not all boxes are able to achieve the kee kee. Keep searching til you find one that does.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »
The soundboard does seem to make the difference. My all persimmon scratch box  will make a nice kee-kee. It is the only scratcher of mine that will.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 10:18:23 AM »
I forgot to say. I like a hardwood striker when doing kee kee's. I use a gabon ebony striker with my scratchers. I can do it with slate but the ebony works better.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 02:15:45 PM »
I have a Russel Beard cedar box and cedar striker that has a good kee kee in it

I hold both box and striker tighter with more finger pressure.

also get the highest pitch in this call by hitting the sound board near the outside edge in the upper 1/3rd section of the striker.

Offline PNWturkey

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 06:48:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for the tips, I'll be practicing my kee kee this summer in anticipation for autumn...

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 05:34:27 PM »
Bottom line is this....scratchboxes are the father of modern day box calls.  If a box call is an automatic transmission then a scratchbox is an old 5-speed manual with a finicky clutch.  Boxes are far more versatile in varying turkey language like gobbling, keeing, and heavy rollover yelps.  Where a scratchbox excels is in its compact size number one.  Number 2 is a good scratchbox makes the 3 most important sounds needed to fool a gobbler.....the yelp, the cluck, and the cut (fast or slow cutting also putting).  You can kee kee on a scratchbox and you can purr on one too. But I don't think the kee or the purr on a scratcher sound realistic at all.  Except for that fast aggravated purr you make when you shot one bird and you're trying to get another gobbler to come back.  Best purr is on a slate in my opinion and best kee kee is on a trumpet or longbox.  I don't refer to mouthcalls because I don't use them. 
This is just my personal experience and opinion as someone who has played and made a scratcher or two.  And I've had great success with them.  If I could only take ONE call in the woods it would be a scratchbox or a trumpet/wingbone.  And kee kees really only help in hunting fall turkeys. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 07:21:20 PM »
Bob Fulcher at Shadetree makes a scratch box that will produce a great kee-kee, a mean purr, and give you a couple different yelps from young hen to a gobbler yelp. Hands down best scratch box I've ever run.

His scratchers are super easy on the eyes too! Like Kentucky, give me one call make it a trumpet or one of Bob's scratch boxes.

https://shadetreecallers.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2264267
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 01:35:39 AM »
I agree with Kentucky Headhunter . ( only exception vis I run mouthcalls ) these days I have fallen back more old school and push the trumpet and scratchers more ...... But for those that don't know my Boy Allen is one of the best ive seen on a scratchbox and not to mention he builds as good a one as I have ever run . shoot I own 3 of his and still am on the list for 2 out of that SPECIAL woodpile !

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 07:44:33 AM »
...... But for those that don't know my Boy Allen is one of the best ive seen on a scratchbox and not to mention he builds as good a one as I have ever run .

I strongly agree.

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »
The ole Beggin' Hen by Kenny Morgan is the most effortless Kee Kee on a scratch box for me.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »
Well, I may be off base and my hearing is admittedly compromised but I have plenty of scratch boxes that make good enough kee-kees to call in turkeys. Some better than others.
If you’re looking for the classic high pitched, absolutely clear kee-kee, you might not get EXACTLY that on a lot of scratchers but you can get one that resembles the kee-kees from real turkeys that I’ve heard in the woods and on recordings.
I like to go from middle of striker toward bottom of striker. That gives the proper pitch. Use the edge of the striker for most of them.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 05:43:37 AM »
Well, I may be off base and my hearing is admittedly compromised but I have plenty of scratch boxes that make good enough kee-kees to call in turkeys. Some better than others.
If you’re looking for the classic high pitched, absolutely clear kee-kee, you might not get EXACTLY that on a lot of scratchers but you can get one that resembles the kee-kees from real turkeys that I’ve heard in the woods and on recordings.
I like to go from middle of striker toward bottom of striker. That gives the proper pitch. Use the edge of the striker for most of them.

I have a similar opinion. I don’t have any or very many scratchers I can’t get acceptable kee Kees out of. It requires running the call closer to end of soundboard in my experience.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2022, 01:21:35 AM »
I did not even know that a scratcher could do a Kee-Kee?

My favorite scratchers make excellent purrs though, and are my favorite for low-end quiet clucks and purrs.  I am constantly amazed at how far these birds can hear those quiet subtle notes.

While it is not a call I would use often, I have seen friends drum up gobbles with a kee-kee, and would love to learn it on a scratcher...  Anyone have a link?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.