OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning Bps 10 gauge

Started by RED NECK, June 02, 2021, 08:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I have been kicking tires on purchasing a new 10 gauge for about 6 months, I sold my bps 10 ga nwtf model and then kind of kicked myself,I have only ever sold 4 guns and It was one of them.

I see the new bps in 10 gauge black and 26" barrel and my plan for it, is too have it drilled and tapped for one of my bps bases,send it away to be dipped and add a red dot and shoot federal 4-5's and Remington 4-5's with an undetermined choke for turkeys and then use it for goose hunting ,now and then.

I will probably be buying this gun before end of July and I may not have it dipped until after waterfowl season,next winter.

I know lots still like them,I have had 2 10's and sold both.I want one in my collection and now that seasons over it will give me a gun to work on and get setup.

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Make sure you post your progress as you get it set up to your liking. I don't know what they sell for now but the BPS 10 was such a bargain buy in the '90's and earlier 2000's. To me they are the best quality modern made pump hands down. Mine is the 26" barrel 'Hunter' with the polished blue and satin walnut. My only regret is that I didn't buy a 28" or 30" barrel model. I find that the 26" has a lot of blast and rings my ears when I shot my first turkey with it. The 2nd year I hunted with it I vowed to wear hearing protection but forgot it in the car in the rush to get in the woods. After the second bird and ringing ears i never forgot hearing protection again.

the Ward

I think they are a very high quality shotgun also. I believe they did a restyle on the stocks for the new models. I was on the Browning website not long ago, and i think they are only available with 26 and 28 inch barrels now, with a choice of 2 different camo patterns. I don't think they offer the plain black synthetic or blued and wood models anymore. My first Bps 10 was beautiful blued and engraved with turkeys on one side, and geese on the other. Really nice walnut stocks too. 26" barrel. I think i bought it new in 89 or 90, but i don't remember exactly. Stupid me i sold it, and bought into the 3.5 12 gauge craze at the time. Wish i had that one back!

RED NECK

Yes,they did change the stock and forend in 2020 and they come in Black, along with different camo in 26" and 28". Browning bps are the nicest pumps built and my favorite shotguns.Just flat out soild,no frill killers.

the Ward

I must have missed the black model, that's great they are still offering that one.

RED NECK

Yeah, I personally can't stand the look of duck/goose camo on any guns,even my waterfowl guns so I wouldn't buy a camo version.I like black and It gives me an open option to have it dipped,I guess I could refinish a shadow grass camo as well.I think the purchase will be august as I have two priorities before the big 10 comes home, a new jon boat and a new sxp 20.  I had a 28" Black 10 gauge with turkeys engraved on one side and geese on the other in mint shape and I sold it like an idiot about 11 years ago,I got it in a trade for a Remington pump.I won that deal.

WildTigerTrout

I bought my BPS Stalker 24" 10 ga. new in 2001. Still have it and would not part with it.  Even with several other dedicated turkey rigs to choose from I hunted with it exclusively this spring.  It's awesome with the old, now discontinued Winchester Supreme HV 2 oz. #6 turkey load.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

the Ward

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on June 04, 2021, 10:56:27 PM
I bought my BPS Stalker 24" 10 ga. new in 2001. Still have it and would not part with it.  Even with several other dedicated turkey rigs to choose from I hunted with it exclusively this spring.  It's awesome with the old, now discontinued Winchester Supreme HV 2 oz. #6 turkey load.
I did the same this spring. I put a 24" barrel on mine and paired it with an Indian  creek .710 choke and was very happy with the results, perfect for my hunting needs. I was fortunate enough  to take a gobbler with mine this spring. Carried it all over and didn't notice the weight after the first hunt. What i did notice was the weight of the ammo in my vest though!

the Ward

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on June 04, 2021, 09:22:05 PM
Yeah, I personally can't stand the look of duck/goose camo on any guns,even my waterfowl guns so I wouldn't buy a camo version.I like black and It gives me an open option to have it dipped,I guess I could refinish a shadow grass camo as well.I think the purchase will be august as I have two priorities before the big 10 comes home, a new jon boat and a new sxp 20.  I had a 28" Black 10 gauge with turkeys engraved on one side and geese on the other in mint shape and I sold it like an idiot about 11 years ago,I got it in a trade for a Remington pump.I won that deal.
Not a fan of the light colored "blades" camo at all, either. My new 24" barrel i purchased this spring was in the "shadow grass" camo, which i think is much better than the "blades". Most of the areas i waterfowl hunt i would prefer a darker camo pattern. My current Bps 10 has the plain receiver, it just begs for some tasteful engraving on that big slab of steel! Would love to send it to Turnbull for some work!

the Ward

I also put a Champion easy hit 3mm green fiber optic bead sight on it. My gun shot dead on but a little high, and adding the sight brought the impact down to just right. I'm keeping this gun bead only, since it is one of my waterfowl guns first, turkey gun second, at least at the present time.

RED NECK

I like the new stock and forearm design, I like that you can have the stock cut,to your desired lop. My plan with this gun is to have it drilled and tapped for a browning bps base,I bought 4 of them a few months back so I had them,near impossible to find up here and to have stock cut to lop I want,if needed and then to order a .720 terror tube from wad wizard for goose,if the stock chokes will not pattern, and then I will try and find a turkey choke in the .705-.720 range that gets sold reviews and then pattern it.
I assume I will not send gun away until next January to have dipped,if I decide too get it done. I want this gun for turkey/goose but I can see it being used in the corn fields for goose more,we will see.I will shoot the bead more than likely for goose and turkey but I want the option of mounting a optic for turkeys if I want.

RED NECK

which choke do you have in for turkey hunting?

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on June 06, 2021, 09:08:41 AM
which choke do you have in for turkey hunting?
I have an old USA made Mark Bansner (Truglo) .695
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on June 05, 2021, 09:32:39 PM
I like the new stock and forearm design, I like that you can have the stock cut,to your desired lop. My plan with this gun is to have it drilled and tapped for a browning bps base,I bought 4 of them a few months back so I had them,near impossible to find up here and to have stock cut to lop I want,if needed and then to order a .720 terror tube from wad wizard for goose,if the stock chokes will not pattern, and then I will try and find a turkey choke in the .705-.720 range that gets sold reviews and then pattern it.
I assume I will not send gun away until next January to have dipped,if I decide too get it done. I want this gun for turkey/goose but I can see it being used in the corn fields for goose more,we will see.I will shoot the bead more than likely for goose and turkey but I want the option of mounting a optic for turkeys if I want.
I have both the .705" and .720" Snake River Machine Terror tubes for my BPS. Also have Hastings extended turkey tubes in .700" and .690". Years ago I wanted to try extended turkey tubes after using the Browning (made for them by Briley) X-Full .734" flush mount tube. A friend of mine used a Browning Gold 10 auto for waterfowl and he told me how well the Terror tubes worked with lead even though they were mainly designed for steel shot. The .705" Terror really shoots well with old school Federal and Winchester 2 1/4oz. #4 loads. Winchester Supreme XX #5 also shoot great out of the .705" Terror. I actually never got around to testing the tighter Hastings tubes because I liked the .705" with #4's pattern so much. I have a case of Win Supreme XX 2 1/4oz. #5's that I bet will do real good out of those slightly tighter Hastings tubes.

RED NECK

It seems the new version weighs 8 lbs 0 oz in 26" and the older one was 10 lbs 6 oz . That makes me even want this gun more,I don't mind carrying a heavy gun anyway,even when I am hiking all day,but that doesn't mean I wont take the 2 lbs 6 oz and enjoy carrying it even more.