OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on RED DOT open style

Started by bcuda, June 01, 2021, 10:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcuda

Was looking at the open style type red dots out there .
I do not have anything at present on my 870 express 12 ga and
am wanting to put some kind of a scope. What I have heard is
the red dot open style is very easy and faster to get your target in view.
Could you all give me the pros and cons on a regular style red dot scope
and the open style red dot. Also if I do chose an open style red dot what
do you all recommend .

Tom007

If your gun is not tapped and you don't want to fool around with any mounts, the Aimpoint Micro S-1 is a great option. Not cheap, but mounts right on most ribs right out of the box. Military tough, reliable battery life. It has a 6 moa size red dot. Sits nice and low on rib. It is a great option. Good luck...

Tail Feathers

I like my Nikon.  It has no blue tint when looking thru it, has less orange glare on the turkey side of it to spook a bird and has worked well for me.  I went looking for a second one for my other gun and found out they no longer make them tho.
I will be watching this thread.  Most will say Fastfire III or maybe the upcoming IV.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bcuda

This looks like it might be a good way to mount one on an 870 instesd of drilling and tapping the receiver anyone ever use one of these.

lunghit

Research the speed bead before you buy it. I have read it bends under the pressure of turkey loads and you will never get it zeroed. No experience but it's what I have read. 

Also the Aimpoint micro S1 is no doubt a top of the line red dot but make sure it fits before you buy it. I just had to return mine because it did not fit my Winchester SX3 20 gauge. After trying to get it mounted with no luck I called Aimpoint directly and they said it does not fit a lot of American guns including mine.  There was a thread on here started last year about the same issue but I fiigured a Belgian gun might work but I was wrong.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Pluffmud

Getting your receiver drilled and tapped really is not that costly or complicated. It's literally a few holes that are drilled and a tap is run through each hole. A good machinist with a DRO can have your receiver drilled and tapped in less than an hour.
Psalm 46:10

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Pluffmud on June 01, 2021, 01:48:05 PM
Getting your receiver drilled and tapped really is not that costly or complicated. It's literally a few holes that are drilled and a tap is run through each hole. A good machinist with a DRO can have your receiver drilled and tapped in less than an hour.

I agree.  I've had a few drilled and tapped just for red dot sights, but I knew a local machinist that could do it.  I prefer the solid bases from Sumtoy for my mounts.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

grayfox

If you want it drilled & tapped give William at Sumtoy Customs a call. He'll take care of you. He did my 870 years ago.

bcuda

Quote from: grayfox on June 01, 2021, 02:38:27 PM
If you want it drilled & tapped give William at Sumtoy Customs a call. He'll take care of you. He did my 870 years ago.

I tried calling them three different times it rings one time and goes dead. I went to their web site and used that number. I then went to their facebook page and their latest post is only a day old but no contact number on that page.

bcuda

I just ordered another similar mount similar to the sumtoy, I hope it works.

Wish the phone at sumtoy was working.

Here is the mount I ordered.

silvestris

I didn't read the OP as a question as how to mount the sight on the gun but rather which sight is better   " What I have heard is the red dot open style is very easy and faster to get your target in view."  Either should work for you.  Then mounting comes into play, not to the gun, but to your shoulders.  I say shoulders plural as you should be able to shoot with either shoulder as required by the situation with BOTH EYES OPEN.  Sit in your easy chair and practice mounting your gun until it becomes automatic as you build muscle memory.  Get the sight you like and you will be fine.  Shooting clay pigeons with the sight is great practice.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tail Feathers

I'm thinking of trying the new Bushnell.  The RXS 100 is $100 and the real rugged version is $250.  Got to find em somewhere to handle them before next season. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Cut N Run

Quote from: lunghit on June 01, 2021, 12:41:38 PM
Research the speed bead before you buy it. I have read it bends under the pressure of turkey loads and you will never get it zeroed. No experience but it's what I have read. 

I have the Speed Bead mount for 6 years and never had it change zero.  Originally came with a Fast Fire II on it, but I switched to a FF III because it is more waterproof.  The sights only change zero if I do it, is my experience.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Dtrkyman

I saw a mount for burris ff and vortex venom type sights that mounts to the rib, was like 55 bux.

A reflex type sight (vortex venom) is what I would recommend.

Speed bead mount always looked sweet!

lunghit

Quote from: Dtrkyman on June 02, 2021, 08:17:15 AM
I saw a mount for burris ff and vortex venom type sights that mounts to the rib, was like 55 bux.

A reflex type sight (vortex venom) is what I would recommend.

Speed bead mount always looked sweet!

That's the Meadow Creek mount and I have one that's been perfect so far. Holds the sights really solid.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"