OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: jakes gobbleing  (Read 2171 times)

Offline captfire

jakes gobbleing
« on: April 25, 2021, 10:35:17 AM »
 I HEARD A SOUND THIS MORNING IVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE IT SOUND LIKE A HEN YELPING THET SOUND LIKE A SEAL WITH YELP ( I KNOW LAUGH BUT I WAS JUST NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE} IT WAS RIGHT AT DAY LIGHT THEN WHEN THEY FLEW OFF THE ROOST I HAD 4 JAKES FLY OUT IN THE FILED I DID'NT KNOW WHAT IT WAS JUST DID'NT KNOW WHAT IT WAS...

Offline thwack16

Re: jakes gobbleing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 09:51:49 AM »
That's what it was. Had one gobble about fifteen times this morning, almost bad enough to make you laugh.

Seems I've heard way more than usual this season. I'm guessing a lack of mature gobblers to keep them quiet.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 05:26:16 PM »
Jake gobbling can be deceiving. Sometimes they sound such that you absolutely know it's a jake. Other times you'd swear it's a tom. A number of  years ago when I used to kill whatever I called in I killed a jake. He was the largest  jake I had ever killed...18.5#. Absolutely no way would you have guessed he was a jake. His gobble was better than a lot of toms! He came in very dominant acting, pirouetting and such. This was back in the day when you used to see a pirouetting bird LOL. Absolutely he was the dominant gobbler in the area.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
jakes gobbleing
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 06:14:37 PM »
Me and a buddy chased a mess of jakes around a couple days early this season. One you could tell was a jake gobbling—sounded like a thirteen year old acne faced boy getting his catch in his throat. Finished the first day and my buddy, who’s a lot more experienced than me, said I’d bet my  that’s three jakes and one good longbeard. Next day I chased them again and this day I actually got them to come to the gun. Was three jakes, two that were strutting and gobbling, one that could gobble as good as any two year old longbeard and the other like a pubescent boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:11:54 PM by ChesterCopperpot »

Offline captfire

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 09:30:09 PM »
 U GUTS MIGHT BE RIGHT AFTER I HEARD IT I HAD A GOBBLER AND 3 JAKES FLY DOWN WERE I WAS AT THE GOBBLER CAME HOME IN THE BACK OF MY TRUCKS IVE SEEN MORE JAKES THIS YEAR THEN EVERY WERE IAM HUNTING ....

Offline PNWturkey

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 01:30:07 PM »
If you want to learn more about the various sounds that jakes can make, Lovett Williams Real Turkey CDs/tapes have some excellent audio of jake yelping/gobbling...