OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

THE LOST ART OF THE ARMY CAN OPENER !!!

Started by GOLD HUNTER, May 30, 2011, 07:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossy835

stone road turkey calls

I have the one my father gave me stamped USN from WW2, it still works fine. wont leave home without it. thanks reminded me of the day he gave it to me. i wil pass it to my son.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

savduck

I still carry a Stainless P38. My dad gave it to me back when I was 14, Had it on my key ring ever since.
Georgia Boy

OldMarine

I have two P38's on two sets of keys that I used in Vietnam 1968 & 1969.We ate C rations for 9 months of the 13 month tour in Vietnam and they were a necessity we kept on our dog tags.Mine is as sharp today as it was  40 something years ago.They sell reproduction P38's @ cheaper than dirt and Sgt Grit and other Marine Corps sites.Today C rats are about obsolete and the P38's ,since  MRE's are the soup du jour.

These weren't anymore army P38's then they were Marine Corps P38's.They were issued with every case of C rats.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

hootn

i used the one i keep in my lunch box last night. mine is used all the time.

scott

spurman

I picked one up during basic training at Fort Knox in the winter of 58, I still have it on my key ring.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

kamski1151

The Ol  P38 carried one many years ago.

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

doepee

Quote from: bird on May 30, 2011, 07:58:18 PM
The Ol' P38

I keep one in my survival pack and on my key ring.

bird

P38 bird beat me to it!!! ;D    I used to have a bunch of them

mnturkey

They always come in useful, have one in my day pack just in case.  I used to carry one on my key ring and also punctured my leg (carry my keys in the back pocket so it was not my leg) and quit carying it around.
They sure do the trick on cans.
SEMPER FI

CB on the run

Just looked at mine the other day.  It's going on 40 years old and was purchased when I was a Boy Scout.  I used it last when we moved into our current home in 2006 and everything was still packed.

CB

Gobble!

just ordered myself one from ebay for $2 shipped

TheTwistedOne

This thread got me looking for my P38.  Found it :)!

BigGobbler

WOW!! Its amassing how some would be  outdoors persons and not know what one was or have one. I gave one to my boys when they started going to the woods with me. Thats something that most that do have them have got them from there gramps or dad when they were young,nothing like passing them on for generations.

loner

i have used them for years but now most canned goods have the tab open tops. the old 'c' rations could not be opened without the p-38.i don't know about the newer meals.
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

Beretta686

My father has one on his key ring, it has been there as long as I can remember (45 years). I have one in my pack, use it rarely, but whn you need a can opener it is there.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005