OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tricks for Hung-Up Toms?

Started by BDeal, May 25, 2021, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferocious calls

Hard clucks have turned many reluctant toms around and into range.

Tom007

It seems the Tom is turning around because he senses he should see the source of the calling. A Jake and Hen decoy has worked for me, it brings the hens in, he follows. You also can try a fighting purr sequence, a Tom might break for that and challenge the Jake. Like others have stated above, if the mood ain't right, he won't commit. Good luck...hope you get him.
"Solo hunter"

RiverRoost

I listened to a podcast with Dave Owens on there and one of the tricks I remember he talked about was of the gobbler was fired up and responding good but not closing in he would sometimes cut the bird off when he gobbled with some excited yelps and cutting them shut down. Almost to paint the picture that she yelped on top of his gobble to say I'm really ready now get over here. Don't know how well it works but I'd take anything he says as gold and I'll keep this in my mind for those situations

bigriverbum

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 14, 2022, 08:01:47 AM
I listened to a podcast with Dave Owens on there and one of the tricks I remember he talked about was of the gobbler was fired up and responding good but not closing in he would sometimes cut the bird off when he gobbled with some excited yelps and cutting them shut down. Almost to paint the picture that she yelped on top of his gobble to say I'm really ready now get over here. Don't know how well it works but I'd take anything he says as gold and I'll keep this in my mind for those situations

it worked for me last year. bird on a neighboring property was going off in the tree. then responded to my calling on the ground but wasn't moving. i reckoned that he was going to naturally move away from me so i cut him off twice and shut up. he crested over the hill 5 minutes later

RiverRoost

Quote from: bigriverbum on March 14, 2022, 09:11:18 AM
Quote from: RiverRoost on March 14, 2022, 08:01:47 AM

it worked for me last year. bird on a neighboring property was going off in the tree. then responded to my calling on the ground but wasn't moving. i reckoned that he was going to naturally move away from me so i cut him off twice and shut up. he crested over the hill 5 minutes later

Good to know. It sure makes sense what you're trying to convey to him

Dtrkyman

When the situation allows it I often call to a hot bird from 100 plus yards, then simply move forward quickly and cut the distance in half, then simply shut up!

Works often enough to try it in the proper situation, of course just shutting up and not moving works also but not as much!