OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Copper pot, worth a try?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Natrone

Copper pot, worth a try?
« on: May 24, 2021, 06:58:55 PM »
I am looking for a new pot call surface to try for next season. I have a glass and ceramic from reputable call makers which play great inside but are too sensitive to rain/humidity.  I’ve heard good things about copper pots running fiber/carbon strikers so I assume they run good in weather. I also hunt light and need this to be my only pot I carry.

To those who have ran copper, does it hold up to weather? Also, is it versatile enough to be the sole pot on a hunt or would you be reaching for something else?

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Copper pot, worth a try?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 07:27:15 PM »
Your ceramic shouldn’t be sensitive to anything with regard to weather. I like copper a lot. Like Mike Yingling’s copper and I’ve got a Wendell Rye 3” copper that I really like for tree talk. That said, if I were only carrying one pot copper wouldn’t be the surface I’d choose. I’d suggest trying some different strikers. Like I said, that ceramic ought to run dry or wet. My favorite all weather striker is a carbon tipped webwood from Bill Lyman. I think he goes by [mention]callmakerman [/mention]here on the forum. That striker never leaves my vest and I searched high and low for a good all weather option for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 09:30:05 PM »
I am looking for a new pot call surface to try for next season. I have a glass and ceramic from reputable call makers which play great inside but are too sensitive to rain/humidity.  I’ve heard good things about copper pots running fiber/carbon strikers so I assume they run good in weather. I also hunt light and need this to be my only pot I carry.

To those who have ran copper, does it hold up to weather? Also, is it versatile enough to be the sole pot on a hunt or would you be reaching for something else?
  Have you ever cleaned that ceramic pot, with alcohol pad and rub across it later with scotch brite? Also keep your striker tips clean.. I agree with ChesterC... no reason for that ceramic pot not to run, someone else who makes a good weatherproof striker is Pecker Wrecker Turkey calls and Gooserbat on the forum.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 10:23:13 PM »
Yeah, it's all in the striker. Carbon tipped of even acrylic. No reason why rain should affect ceramic or glass with a weatherproof striker.

Offline Natrone

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 07:14:40 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

I usually just go over the striker and ceramic with green scotch brite and it’s hit or miss. Maybe the wood striker soaks up to much moisture. I’ll give some new strikers a try!

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Copper pot, worth a try?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 08:02:56 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

I usually just go over the striker and ceramic with green scotch brite and it’s hit or miss. Maybe the wood striker soaks up to much moisture. I’ll give some new strikers a try!
Travis Wyatt who makes a hell of a ceramic told me he rarely reconditions ceramic but that if he does he uses burgundy scotch brite. I had one maker tell me that ceramic needs to be conditioned with a belt, but luckily I haven’t needed to recondition any of mine yet. It does sound like the strikers are likely the issue. Lots of folks making good all weather options now. I tend to like the the carbon tips better than the acrylic rods. Best of luck. And if you do decide to try a copper check out Mike Yingling’s.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:18:04 AM by ChesterCopperpot »

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 08:21:53 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

Travis Wyatt who makes a hell of a ceramic told me he rarely reconditions ceramic but that if he does he uses burgundy scotch brite. I had one maker tell me that ceramic needs to be conditioned with a belt, but luckily I haven’t needed to recondition any of mine yet. It does sound like the strikers are likely the issue. Lots of folks making good all weather options now. I tend to like the the carbon tips better than the acrylic rods. Best of luck. And if you do decide to try a copper check out Mike Yingling’s.

X2 on the Mike Yingling copper pot. His pots scream turkey. The only thing I'll say about copper is that it's a little less forgiving if you aren't good with your striker angle.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 04:38:24 PM »
Any surface can be ran in wet conditions with the correct striker. One thing that can cause a problem is the pot material, wood can swell and cause problems. I have 2 waterproof pots a Yingling and a Brumfiel both are very good anytime rain or shine

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 08:51:56 AM »
Madhatter cooper is my every day call.I lean towards a hickory striker and get the high front end yelp with the ability to ho soft.It runs easier than a crystal for me.

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 06:36:49 AM »
I got 2 copper pots from Mike Yingling. They are definitely less forgiving. I've been running glass as my primary pot for almost 15 years, they are a world apart. However, it didn't take too long before I figured it out. I found that on those pots I run a little closer to the center of the call than on glass/slate, and more importantly, your striker movements are way more finesse... Very small strikes. I was having issues at first, but I called him back and he gave me some pointers. He also told me to NOT clean my strikers. He advised to use those strikers on other surfaces like glass and slate to buildup some grip on the striker tip, and it would run easier. That helped out tremendously. I've also found that I condition copper more often than glass or slate. If you have any questions, call Mike. He's a great help and a great guy to talk to. I'll also add that his coppers are dangerously close to hen turkey. Great calls.
Psalm 46:10