North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What to do in this situation? Set up Strategy

Started by Mossberg90MN, May 19, 2021, 11:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 15, 2021, 09:36:40 AM
I don't want to be contrary or discount the safety issues as noted above, and "better safe than sorry" certainly applies in all circumstances. Having said that,  I honestly believe that mantra can be taken a bit to the extreme in some cases.  This may or may not be one of them,...each circumstance often has to be evaluated in "real time". 

In bobcat19's situation, if I am honest, I would almost certainly have pulled the trigger as he did.  Honestly, I bet there are few turkey hunters that would not have done the same. The remote possibility that someone beyond the turkey would be hit, to me is equivalent to the possibility of being struck by lightning or having a tree fall on you. 

Let me expand on that explanation from my personal perspective.  In any turkey hunting scenario I am involved in, I am always trying to be aware of the possibility someone else might be in the area.  I am always on the defensive in that regard, but maybe more importantly, I am also always watching/listening for clues that might tip me off that I am not alone. 

Obviously, hearing turkey calling in the distance is one of those clues.  Another clue that I pay attention to is any change in a turkeys demeanor that indicates he has become alert to something from an extraneous source.  In my experience, the turkeys will be the first to tell you that something is amiss.  Simply put, it is the extremely rare turkey hunter that can sneak in and set up on a gobbler that you are working, get close enough that he might get shot, and do that without the turkeys (or you) having an indication that something like that is happening. 

The odds of someone doing that, AND being in a position that they will possibly be hit by the shot string beyond the turkey is extremely remote.  Again, if it was me, I would be more concerned about a lightning strike.   

I totally agree,..."safety first",....but honestly speaking, in this case, I think that would be taking it to the extreme.   :icon_thumright:
Same. I'd have pulled without a second thought. It's not like you're firing a .308 out into oblivion. "The know your target and what's beyond," is a wonderful rule to live by, but if you've never had shot fall on you you've likely never hunted a very good dove field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Shooting my gun up over the crest of a hill when I have no clue who may be on the other side or where is not anything I plan on doing any time soon. You guys have at it. Ill find a better place to set up.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

eggshell

Speaking as someone who has a very keen perspective on safety and being shot....I'm shooting that turkey in bobcat's scenario. I agree with Gobblenut's comments. A rising trajectory up and over anyone's head level and the limited range of shot make's the odds of a safe shot very high. I think a shot in flat open woods or a field carries far more risk. How many times are we 100% sure of what is down range, not many in reality. We make assessments and weigh risk every time we decide to pull the trigger, it's rarely risk free. I am a huge advocate for safety and absolutely agree that every set up should involve an immediate assessment what's down range, but this scenario will pass in most cases

silvestris

Absolutely knowing what is beyond your target is impossible unless the target is between you and a nearby (really close) high bluff.  Turkey hunting is a dangerous endeavor, much more dangerous since the emergence of TSS.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GobbleNut

I will conclude my thoughts on this by saying this:  Even though I am in the "I would take that shot" group, I will also state that I would rather be in the woods with someone like Paulmyr that errs on the side of safety than I would those guys at the other extreme!   :) :icon_thumright:

Paulmyr

Granted I would shoot off the top of the ridge where my shot sprays the the valley/ creek bed below. I'm just not hip on setting up downhill from a bird specially with the crest within turkey killing range.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

After contemplating shooting over the crest if a hill quite a bit. If I'm being honest with myself I guess it would depend on the angle of the shot. Shooting up at say a 45 degree angle I suppose would be no different than spraying shot off the top of a ridge.

Edit: Either way I'm still looking for a better set up.

Mossberg90MN

After taking some time to evaluate the situation I know what I should have  done. Of course hindsight is 2020.

Realizing that it was to tight for a shot I would have dropped down the ridge just under the crest behind me and circled to my right where the ridge top was thick but the hill side the bird was on was mature hardwoods.

I would have quietly dropped down and moved up and try to get almost right at the crest. Then do some soft yelps and clucks and wait for that bird to take the deer trail on the hill side he was on and hit the mature hardwoods for 30 yard shot.

One thing I like to do on the off season is evaluate my battles and really pick them apart.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on July 28, 2021, 01:27:15 PM
After taking some time to evaluate the situation I know what I should have  done. Of course hindsight is 2020.

Realizing that it was to tight for a shot I would have dropped down the ridge just under the crest behind me and circled to my right where the ridge top was thick but the hill side the bird was on was mature hardwoods.

I would have quietly dropped down and moved up and try to get almost right at the crest. Then do some soft yelps and clucks and wait for that bird to take the deer trail on the hill side he was on and hit the mature hardwoods for 30 yard shot.

One thing I like to do on the off season is evaluate my battles and really pick them apart.

How many times have all of us walked away from an unsuccessful encounter with a gobbler with that same thought?..."If only I had done this or that I would have got him".  We say to ourselves,..."next time, I will do this differently when I am in a similar situation".  The problem is, the "next time" that gobbler (or another one) is quite likely to do something entirely different, too.  The "next time" what YOU did the first time might be the right move!

In the end, the best any of us can do is use our best judgement in each situation,...that judgement generally based on our past experiences. When all is said and done, the reality is that we play the game,...and hope for the best.  Then again, assessing what we think we did wrong is a good idea and is certainly better than the alternative of blindly stumbling along without trying to learn from our past failures.

However, assuming a gobbler is going to stick to a script the next time you encounter him is a mighty big leap of faith.  I think we turkey hunters contemplate a turkeys actions (and try to make sense of them), a lot more than the turkeys do.   ;D :laugh:

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 29, 2021, 10:35:31 AM
Quote from: Mossberg90MN on July 28, 2021, 01:27:15 PM

How many times have all of us walked away from an unsuccessful encounter with a gobbler with that same thought?..."If only I had done this or that I would have got him".  We say to ourselves,..."next time, I will this differently when I am in a similar situation".  The problem is, the "next time" that gobbler (or another one) is quite likely to do something entirely different, too.  The "next time" what YOU did the first time might be the right move!

In the end, the best any of us can do is use our best judgement in each situation,...that judgement generally based on our past experiences. When all is said and done, the reality is that we play the game,...and hope for the best.  Then again, assessing what we think we did wrong is a good idea and is certainly better than the alternative of blindly stumbling along without trying to learn from our past failures.

However, assuming a gobbler is going to stick to a script the next time you encounter him is a mighty big leap of faith.  I think we turkey hunters contemplate a turkeys actions (and try to make sense of them), a lot more than the turkeys do.   ;D :laugh:
I agree! That is the one thing about these birds as they can be so unpredictable!