turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Persimmon strikers

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 18, 2021, 04:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

To me a persimmon striker should be a pretty nice striker based on hardness, availability and cost.  Admittedly I only have one and it's from Wendell Rye.  It's a pretty good domestic wood one-piece striker IMO, and I'm thinking about getting one or two more from different makers.  You almost never hear much about persimmon strikers compared to hickory or black locust.  Who has good luck with theirs?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ChesterCopperpot

I have a hell of a persimmon striker from Jack Mincey. His shape always reminded me of one of Fowler's strikers. This persimmon is mean, though. I think that's an often overlooked striker wood as is locust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 18, 2021, 04:42:27 PM
I have a hell of a persimmon striker from Jack Mincey. His shape always reminded me of one of Fowler's strikers. This persimmon is mean, though. I think that's an often overlooked striker wood as is locust.

I have several black locust strikers I like, more than I do hickory.  Persimmon is a true ebony and it's harder, more dense, and heavier than black locust or hickory.  Should be a player.

Sir-diealot

I have one from JHL (Jeff), Halloran, Stuckey, H. Fowler and 2 others I do not recall the makers of. I really like them and they may be my favorites next to my Ipe and Tulipwood strikers. I do plan to get some from other makers as well, I also have multiple Ipe and Tulipwood strikers from verious makers including all mentioned above except Halloran, he does not make them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 18, 2021, 05:05:47 PM

I have several black locust strikers I like, more than I do hickory.  Persimmon is a true ebony and it's harder, more dense, and heavier than black locust or hickory.  Should be a player.
I have a locust and a black locust that I like more, can you suggest some black locust strikers please? Thank you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 18, 2021, 08:18:19 PM

I have a locust and a black locust that I like more, can you suggest some black locust strikers please? Thank you.
I do pretty well with the dirty, heavy black locust I have from JLH.  I have one from Derek Fowler, Stuckey and Bill Lyman that are good strikers.  The one I have from Derek Fowler I ran a good bit this past weekend really well.

shatcher

Seems I recall Matt McClain makes a good black locust striker.  I don't have one.  I'd like to get one since he's in my neck of the woods.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 18, 2021, 08:29:21 PM

I do pretty well with the dirty, heavy black locust I have from JLH.  I have one from Derek Fowler, Stuckey and Bill Lyman that are good strikers.  The one I have from Derek Fowler I ran a good bit this past weekend really well.

I sure wish my hands would let me use those Fowler strikers, they won't though, they are so thin and short my hands hurt when I try to use them, I keep them as collectors pieces though. Never be in the back seat of a car that hits a tree at 90 MPH things are never the same. I will look into the others you mention though. I like the Stuckey strikers because they do not hurt my hands at all and I like those mushroom tips he puts on them. Jeff has been quite kind by making me thicker strikers after we had talked about my hands one day, that is why I keep buying from him. I think one of my Tulipwood strikers is a Bill Lyman. I do like those one piece strikers, not as easy for me to break with my clumsy self. Thanks again.

John Koenig:

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: shatcher on May 18, 2021, 08:46:57 PM
Seems I recall Matt McClain makes a good black locust striker.  I don't have one.  I'd like to get one since he's in my neck of the woods.
I would...

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 18, 2021, 09:01:07 PM

I sure wish my hands would let me use those Fowler strikers, they won't though, they are so thin and short my hands hurt when I try to use them, I keep them as collectors pieces though. Never be in the back seat of a car that hits a tree at 90 MPH things are never the same. I will look into the others you mention though. I like the Stuckey strikers because they do not hurt my hands at all and I like those mushroom tips he puts on them. Jeff has been quite kind by making me thicker strikers after we had talked about my hands one day, that is why I keep buying from him. I think one of my Tulipwood strikers is a Bill Lyman. I do like those one piece strikers, not as easy for me to break with my clumsy self. Thanks again.
May need to check out Matt Mclain.  He sent me a picture of one of his black locust strikers and they are robust.

Greg Massey

Matt Mclain, makes some FMJ strikers, that are really nice, these are made out of arrow shaft with wood tip insert... he has the wood head of the striker with insert also that you can change the weight of the head of the striker.. you can see these strikers on his facebook ... I have black locust and diamondwood from him.. Rick Alessandrini makes a carbon shaft striker with antler tip that's a really nice striker.. check that striker out on his facebook page...

wchadw

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 18, 2021, 09:26:20 PM
Matt Mclain, makes some FMJ strikers, that are really nice, these are made out of arrow shaft with wood tip insert... he has the wood head of the striker with insert also that you can change the weight of the head of the striker.. you can see these strikers on his facebook ... I have black locust and diamondwood from him.. Rick Alessandrini makes a carbon shaft striker with antler tip that's a really nice striker.. check that striker out on his facebook page...
McLain makes excellent strikers

BTH

Great luck with persimmon especially on gray and black slate.

Fred Cox (Grand Slam) 1 pc would be my 1st choice for a persimmon striker
David Halloran 1pc for my 2nd choice persimmon striker
Phil 4:13

mmclain

My .02 on persimmon.   It's a good striker cleaner yelps not super raspy. The grain is clean and fairly tight and not a super hard or dense wood. .  Purrs well without being to high pitched.  Wood varies greatly in color from tree to tree.  I've seen it mahogany in color to a greenish grey.  I like it on slate the best

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 18, 2021, 09:07:53 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 18, 2021, 09:01:07 PM

May need to check out Matt Mclain.  He sent me a picture of one of his black locust strikers and they are robust.

Greg Massey had suggested his to me some time ago, I because friends with him but forgot all about him. I remembered that he did them with arrows but could not remember who "he" was, side effect of my medication is short term memory loss, better than the pain though.

John Koenig: