OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Current Turkey hunting parallels Duck hunting

Started by arkrem870, May 16, 2021, 09:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigriverbum

Quote from: bigriverbum on May 17, 2021, 11:49:00 AM
Quote from: ChiefBubba on May 17, 2021, 11:14:38 AM
Quote from: bigriverbum on May 17, 2021, 11:06:57 AM
man, don't get me started on what happened to duck hunting. this boards been too negative lately anyways

screw DU

I have to agree with you to some extent and same with NWTF. But on the other hand who else is doing and paying for anything to do with wildlife? Who on here has a couple of million dollars to do habitat improvement on public lands? The tough thing about ducks is they're migratory and what happens in the tundra doesn't directly relate to your back yard. Bubba

not saying they don't do some help to birds but i'll save my money for an organization that doesn't silence people like don thomas and build private hunting resorts for the rich.  huntings done nothing but decline here for 3 decades. yeah i'm sure paying for a flooded rice field and cabin/restaurant/resort in arkansas is really saving the ducks

also, these advocacy groups are just like the the gov't. gets so big and convoluted that those in power only serve themselves while tossing us some crumbs.

at this point the "sport" itself sucks so much i don't care anymore. i'll go out and walk some woods and shoot a few woodducks and be content with that. if the instagram mallard killin' douches suffer, so be it

ChiefBubba

Quote from: bigriverbum on May 17, 2021, 11:57:21 AM
Quote from: bigriverbum on May 17, 2021, 11:49:00 AM
Quote from: ChiefBubba on May 17, 2021, 11:14:38 AM
Quote from: bigriverbum on May 17, 2021, 11:06:57 AM
man, don't get me started on what happened to duck hunting. this boards been too negative lately anyways

screw DU

I have to agree with you to some extent and same with NWTF. But on the other hand who else is doing and paying for anything to do with wildlife? Who on here has a couple of million dollars to do habitat improvement on public lands? The tough thing about ducks is they're migratory and what happens in the tundra doesn't directly relate to your back yard. Bubba

not saying they don't do some help to birds but i'll save my money for an organization that doesn't silence people like don thomas and build private hunting resorts for the rich.  huntings done nothing but decline here for 3 decades. yeah i'm sure paying for a flooded rice field and cabin/restaurant/resort in arkansas is really saving the ducks

also, these advocacy groups are just like the the gov't. gets so big and convoluted that those in power only serve themselves while tossing us some crumbs.

at this point the "sport" itself sucks so much i don't care anymore. i'll go out and walk some woods and shoot a few woodducks and be content with that. if the instagram mallard killin' douches suffer, so be it

That's one of the main reasons to get involved. I've seen it plenty of times dealing with state agencies, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That's one of the thing's about hunter's I can get you millions of opinion's online but as soon as I need a few voices at a public meeting it's a no show. One thing these anti hunter's, hikers, bird watchers and horse trail riders do is they show up in force. Hunter's not so much. Bubba

Dtrkyman

I've been duck hunting a long time!

Duck hunters in general were always the biggest group of D Heads in the bunch long before the new wave of hunters!

Sky busters were around long before YouTube! And poor callers hunters even longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High plains drifter

I sure hope turkey hunting doesn't turn into the commercial snafu that pheasant hunting has become!!

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ccleroy

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 16, 2021, 11:45:16 AM
Declining numbers, states leaving pristine tracts of lands off limits to hunters, reduced quotas, and non-resident restrictions in states like SC.

The non resident restrictions for SC were a long time coming and need to be even stricter than the are IMO. I was glad to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Archivist13

I find this all so intriguing. I started hunting in the late 80's. Where I lived hunting was a way of life and everyone did it. We were told that the anti-hunters were going to kill the sport and they were our number one foe, and they were. Hunter recruitment was critical to keeping the sport alive. Fast forward 30+ years, and in my opinion, we are now our worst enemy. Anti-hunters are still present, but the bickering and resentment of anybody new or someone that does it differently than each of us individually is called out and said to be destroying hunting regardless of species. Technology has always advanced and what we were using back in the 70's, 80's, 90's etc. were "cutting edge" and we were happy to utilize it. Just like the current crop of new hunters. Though there are some, most people aren't hunting with lognbows, homemade arrows, driving to their favorite hunting spot in a horse and buggy. You get the gist. Most of us are steeped in the way that we began and have updated our gear and methods piecemeal with what works for us. Basically the "new" guys are doing the same thing, only with their current set of tools. Most of us had an old timer, parent, grandparent, that took us out and taught us the ropes. How many of us are taking the time to take out new guys and girls and show them how we did/do it? Some, if it's our own kids, but many new people only have the media and YT to guide them. Instead of seeing them as the enemy, maybe we need to look more introspectively. Ultimately, we can't complain that the sport is dying and then complain whenever someone new shows up at our hunting spot. Embrace them regardless of what their method is as long as it's not illegal or unethical. I mean seriously, are we going to really get hung up on if somebody uses onX or not? Lets get out of the weeds, and actually be forward thinking, or at least tolerant, of the same stuff we took for granted when we first started out.

THattaway

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 18, 2021, 03:54:08 PM
I've been duck hunting a long time!

Duck hunters in general were always the biggest group of D Heads in the bunch long before the new wave of hunters!

Sky busters were around long before YouTube! And poor callers hunters even longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tell it!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles