Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Pleasant Tennessee surprise!!

Started by RutnNStrutn, May 15, 2021, 10:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

After hearing a gobbler hammering close by while I was unpacking at my new place in Tennessee, I figured just maybe my season isn't over yet!!
I called TWRA and found out much to my pleasure, that I don't need a license to hunt my own property. Needless to say, I was out there first thing this morning!!
It was 39 degrees out and the birds were hammering!! About an hour into the hunt I had called the loudest gobbler in to just over the hill. I was on high alert, and then I caught movement as a turkey crested the hill. It was a hen. A minute later I caught more movement and a gobbler crested the hill!! Then the loud mouth gobbler sounded off, still just over the hill. So the gobbler I was watching was a satellite gobbler trying to sneak in some action.
He turned an angle to cut off the hen. She wanted nothing to do with him, and took off running. He ran away after her. They were at 70 yards, so no shot.
This afternoon the loudmouth was back and gobbling, but he wasn't willing to take one for our team. Tomorrow is the last day of the season. I'll be out there looking for an upgrade!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Hayudog

Tell Cookie there's plenty of time to unpack next week. Go kill that bird. After you shoot him, drag him back on your property. Good to hear you're still after them. Close us out on the last day of your season team captain!!!

Mountainburd

Tell us more about the move to Tennessee Rut.....what part of state?  I know you lived in Florida.  Were you from Florida originally? It's funny, as an outdoorsman, I've always enjoyed a cooler climate.  Being from Pa Virginia is as far south as I'll ever want to live.  But I hear a lot of good things about Tennessee.  Great to hear you've got birds at your new place as well. 

RutnNStrutn

My dad moved to FLA when I was in thírd grade. I loved it as a kid, but as an adult I grew to hate the heat, humidity, mosquitos, hurricanes and rampant overdevelopment and overcrowding. I decíded 25 years ago to head north once I retíred.
I chose the area near Sparta, Tennessee and I absolutely love it here!!! :icon_thumright: It's beautiful where I live!! Rolling hills, farm country, mountain víews, creeks, waterfalls, just gorgeous!!! It helps also that I have deer and turkeys on my property. I'm living my dream brothers!!

Roost 1

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 16, 2021, 10:11:46 AM
My dad moved to FLA when I was in thírd grade. I loved it as a kid, but as an adult I grew to hate the heat, humidity, mosquitos, hurricanes and rampant overdevelopment and overcrowding. I decíded 25 years ago to head north once I retíred.
I chose the area near Sparta, Tennessee and I absolutely love it here!!! :icon_thumright: It's beautiful where I live!! Rolling hills, farm country, mountain víews, creeks, waterfalls, just gorgeous!!! It helps also that I have deer and turkeys on my property. I'm living my dream brothers!!

That is a beautiful area... congrats!!
I really like Fall Creek Falls

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Vintage

Congrats on your new place. Life is short enjoy it.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Roost 1 on May 16, 2021, 01:10:56 PM
That is a beautiful area... congrats!!
I really like Fall Creek Falls
Haven't been there yet, but l know where it is. Can't wait to finish moving in and start exploring!!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Vintage on May 16, 2021, 04:00:59 PM
Congrats on your new place. Life is short enjoy it.
That's the plan my man!!!!