OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Season ending gun cleaning?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Season ending gun cleaning?
« on: May 12, 2021, 08:22:04 AM »
I have a dedicated turkey gun as most do. So, how do you all clean your guns after season? Hopefully, it's only been shot a few times. lol. Do you tear down, polish barrel, or just a good clean and oil. Someone had told me to be real careful with oil.

Offline Pluffmud

Re: Season ending gun cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 08:38:08 AM »
You definitely want to keep your firearm clean and lubricated. I normally field strip my shotgun for a standard cleaning a few times a year. Definitely after it gets wet. Some guns can handle the elements better than others. Once a year, right after turkey season ends, I will completely disassemble the shotgun, including the internals of the stock and clean/lubricate the piston tube as well (in inertia driven guns). I do this after a full year of hunting upland birds, waterfowl, turkeys, and shooting clays here and there.

As for lubrication, just lube how the manual says. Too much lube is just as bad as not enough lube. Normally, all it takes is one droo, spread across the surface with your finger, creating a thin film. That should last a good while.
Psalm 46:10

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 09:26:32 PM »
So for me and my turkey guns. I deep clean the barrel and all other parts. I take out the bolt and clean the inside of the receiver, to include removing the trigger housing. Light coat of Rem Oil on everything and put her in the safe.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 09:32:02 PM »
Total tear down, clean and lube.

I have a chrome barrel it gets chrome polish on a mop riding in a cordless drill.

Let dry and run a dry mop in it, mirror finish and barrel is easily cleaned with just a bore snake during season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 09:53:37 PM »
I clean it thoroughly and put it away well lubed and ready for next season.  Same as my deer rifle after deer season.  I sight in before season and won't use anything on my shotgun but a boresnake until after season when it gets the deep cleaning.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 10:27:18 PM »
Soak the receiver with Rem oil and stuff a rag in there to wipe out what I can. Bore snake the barrel with Rem oil and put the gun away. And if I forget to do it, which I think I did last year, I don't worry about it too much.
I don't baby my shotgun and I have never cleaned it during the season. Like never even crossed my mind.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 01:14:56 AM »
I deep clean the entire gun after every turkey season. trigger group and all. I run a little oil on a patch down the barrel while it sits in my safe being my 870 has a steel barrel and it could rust, I lube the threads on the choke as well. I don't polish my barrel until I get it out before next season to pattern it. I have a honing kit. I usually hone it once a year, as it gets shot quite a bit testing loads and patterning. I clean my barrel every few shots when patterning typically. During the season the only time I clean the gun is if it gets rained on. My 870 is cerakoted so surface rust may not be and issue with rain...but I promise you ….it will rust if you don't take care of it.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 01:19:35 PM »
I too clean it well and store it in the safe after the season is over.  I also clean mine during the season if I am wallering in the mud or rain or after I shoot it.  Kind of paranoid about auto-loaders as this is my first. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »
It really depends on how dirty it gets.  But usually, I just clean the bore, wipe off any dirt I see (hit it with compressed air for the spots I can't reach), give exposed metal parts a light oiling and wipe down...and put it away.

Offline POk3s

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 04:43:57 PM »
People clean their shotguns!?  :goofball:

Sorry couldn’t resist ;)

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 08:19:41 PM »
Full tear down no matter how many shots are fired.
One year I found a beech tree bud in by the hammer. If that had worked it's way into the right spot it could have caused a light primer strike or total misfire.