only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is it a quality control issue?

Started by ShootingABN!, May 10, 2021, 08:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

Just purchased a shotgun this spring.

Two things that have me thinking.

Inside the barrel had 7 straight lines that were pretty deep. I purchased a Flexhone and with my cordless drill the inside of the barrel is smooth as glass. I'm wondering if the manufacture missed a step in the barrel process? I have no issues with the POI or the patterns out of the factory. I did have a big change in POI with a custom load, and an after market choke. However I have ruled out the barrel on that issue. So not a big deal.

2nd thing is the camo. I transported it in a soft case. Made sure that no cleaning or bug juice got near the camo finish. Less than thirty days and the camo is wearing down to the tan base coat on the edges and around the grip of the stock. I wear gloves with the fingers cut out this pair had little rubber griper dots. I believe this wore the camo off faster. On a side note I have a 2002 Charles Daily that the camo finish is in better shape than this brand new shotgun. I'm thinking they missed a curing step or spray.

I did contact them so they could check on their process. CS said they would push it to there areas.

I took brown and green Krylon rattle can to it... I don't like the tan base coat..... I know... I know the turkey will never see it.... I have a 90's 870 that is on its 3 color scheme of rattle can art work. LOL
To protect the rest of the Mossy Oak Obsession I'm spraying several coats of matte clear rust-oleum.... No way putting it in a soft case should the factory dip be coming off..

Do you think this is a quality control issue of just a fluke?

Gooserbat

Sounds like a typical camo dip job.

As far as the barrel is concerned, you should have contacted the manufacturer upon buying it not waiting until after you hunted with it through the season. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 10, 2021, 09:16:53 PM
Sounds like a typical camo dip job.

As far as the barrel is concerned, you should have contacted the manufacturer upon buying it not waiting until after you hunted with it through the season.

I understand. I wasn't looking for a replacement. I polish my barrels with the scotch brite, but these were deep so I bought the flexhone which is money.. I just have never seen the inside of a new barrel look like that.

I was expecting the camo to last longer than 30 days.

Thanks for your input.

maddog3355

What kind of shotgun was it? Browning use to have so slick of a barrel that it was a mirror finish. I haven't looked through one in several years. Most shotguns could use the forcing cones polished up.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: maddog3355 on May 10, 2021, 09:52:31 PM
What kind of shotgun was it? Browning use to have so slick of a barrel that it was a mirror finish. I haven't looked through one in several years. Most shotguns could use the forcing cones polished up.

Mossberg 930

Sungrazer

I just bought my first new shotgun, a Turkish over/under 20 gauge. The barrels are so shiny inside with the black chrome- it's unbelievable, crazy shiny. Not one mark or flaw to be seen.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Sungrazer on May 10, 2021, 10:00:45 PM
I just bought my first new shotgun, a Turkish over/under 20 gauge. The barrels are so shiny inside with the black chrome- it's unbelievable, crazy shiny. Not one mark or flaw to be seen.

That's awesome. That's why I'm surprised this one was not that way from the factory. I've put in the work with the flexhone and she is mirror or like glass....

That's why I'm asking here on OG what peoples thoughts are.

I'm really surprised that the camo is wearing off within 30 days.

First and foremost my shotguns are tools.... So I've already spray painted the stock and using a matt clear finish to protect the rest of the camo....

Thanks for your response.

ShootingABN!

WOW 208 views only only a handful of comments.

Thanks to those who took time to comment.
Y'all have a blessed day.

jhoward11

Purchased a 835 Mossberg a couple years ago and the paint starting to wear off in spots. Not a real big deal to me, I'll just touch up what I need. No issues with the barrel, other than it's a killing machine. Purchased another 20 gauge Mossberg last year with no issues. I do agree with former comment...I would have immediately called company and ask. Don't know unless you ask! Sounds like you made it work though.

the Ward

I would contact the manufacturer. Everything is made to a price point, lower cost means something has to be compromised to make the product profitable. I would have sent it back with the barrel issue. Every gun manufacturer has the odd lemon that somehow gets by QC. Call Mossberg CS and let them know, and they should make it right. Good luck, hopefully you can get these issues resolved to your satisfaction.

Turkeyman

I also have a Mossberg 930 I bought a few years ago. As yours, the paint is wearing a bit...thus it appears too light colored...and needs repainted; actually it appeared too light from the get-go. I'll do the spraying  myself. I also have a 935 which is considerably darker, and more desirable so I'll spray the 930 similarly.

paboxcall

Three hard seasons across different states on a Mossberg 500 - only Mossy Oak new breakup camo wear is on the tube. The stock, barrel and receiver all still look brand new.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

ShootingABN!

Quote from: the Ward on May 11, 2021, 03:17:54 PM
I would contact the manufacturer. Everything is made to a price point, lower cost means something has to be compromised to make the product profitable. I would have sent it back with the barrel issue. Every gun manufacturer has the odd lemon that somehow gets by QC. Call Mossberg CS and let them know, and they should make it right. Good luck, hopefully you can get these issues resolved to your satisfaction.

I sent them an email. The response was that it would be passed on.
I could have sent the barrel back. But I used a Flexhone (brush) that smoothed it out beautifully.
As for the camo I used spray paint and matt clear finish to protect the rest of it.
It's a tool so oh well...