OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Texas

Started by Yelper, May 01, 2021, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yelper

I have been hunting in Texas for a lot of years and this was by far the worst year I have experienced. I hunted 5 days and only heard one bird gobble on the property I hunt (1500 acres) and I was able to kill him. The birds didn't gobble, saw hens without toms and in past years usually I will hear 15-20 birds a day gobbling and usually harvest my 4 birds in 3 days. It was great to be in the field, but it was like I was hunting a ghost town, not sure if the severe cold weather they had in March set them back or not.

Sixes

Looks like you needed a Rio call instead of an Osceola. That is probably the issue :TooFunny:

grayfox

He's got some nice spurs. Congratulation on a nice bird.

Yoteduster

Congrats on a nice gobbler

randy6471

Nice bird. Congrats!

wvmntnhick

Nice looking bird. Love those spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yelper

Quote from: Sixes on May 01, 2021, 11:52:16 PM
Looks like you needed a Rio call instead of an Osceola. That is probably the issue :TooFunny:

That's funny ;D

JeffC

Congrats on another fine Tom. Just starting my season, 2 days in field, only 1 mature bird heard, did call in 2 different groups of jakes, so area pinned for next. Lot of pressure on public, high winds yesterday, just keep marching on, enjoying the woods.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tail Feathers

Yelper, I have the same gun (SX3 Universal Hunter) and an Albert Paul box call that looks just like that one.  Congrats on the bird.  I was in N. TX for the opener on April 03 and man at the gobbling I heard!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

OJR

I have hunted central Texas for the past 14 years. The past three have been the worst. Low numbers of turkeys and little to no gobbling as compared to past experience. I still enjoy the trip with my buddies, but times have changed.

HUNTER727

I hunted around Childress Texas for several years and boy was it fun. There was a ton of birds. My family and I would.go up and hunt for 3-4 days and we would always come home with turkeys. I miss hunting Texas forsure

Kansan

Bird numbers are on the decline throughout their range, so you're not alone. I sure hope they can bounce back soon. What's most concerning, is that populations are going down everywhere, and not just in isolated places. Everyone has a theory, but no one really knows why.

Sanders153

I sure hope so to. Surely whatever it is, it can be reversed for our unique American bird

TXTOM

Worst year that I can remember. I've hunted several places this year. It just has not been good.

howl

Maybe it's cause people kill them all. An awful lot of birds got killed last year due to kung flu. I called up some birds and didn't shoot them this year because there are so few on those properties.