OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Dominate Boss harvested, question  (Read 2804 times)

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
Dominate Boss harvested, question
« on: May 10, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »
I've been hunting this bird for two years and blessed to have harvested him a couple of days ago. I missed him last year and came very close to taking him 3 more times and left the woods talking to myself. My question is, "how does taking the dominant bird out affect the rest of the flock?" In the flock left, there are 4 hens, 8 jakes, 3 2-year-old long beards... I believe he was a 3 to 4-year-old bird, 1- 1/4 spurs... just curious

Offline AndyN

Re: Dominate Boss harvested, question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »
Without a doubt all of those turkeys will die. There's only 11 other male turkeys to breed those 4 hens that should already be bred.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 10:15:03 AM »
Those birds will sort out the pecking order pretty fast and a new "top Tom" will take the crown.  But in the meantime, there may be some real good hunting  as that opens up more gobbling and good hunting as they get to seek out hens to breed without fear of the "old boss" whipping their butt. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 04:10:14 PM »
Be one in charge the next day.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 04:17:47 PM »
There's a reason they kick his dead butt after you shoot him.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 04:21:19 PM »
Read Dr. Mike Chamberlain regarding the impact of harvesting the dominant Tom on flock dynamics and the breeding cycle. In brief, another Tom doesn’t just step up and become the dominant Tom with which the hens breed.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 04:26:35 PM »
Assuming that the gobbler was the hen’s preferred male, it may take the hens awhile to accept one of the remaining gobblers as a mate.  However the remaining gobblers should be attracted to your calling if you tell them what they want to hear.  Congrats on your kill.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »
After that dominant bird is killed it could take weeks or even months before another gobbler takes his place, it's all about going back thru the pecking order again. It took weeks and months for the pecking order to become established even before spring season ever began. So it's about fighting and another gobbler become dominant to take his place. I don't agree it will take place the next day.. i will say it will take place over time the new pecking order and new dominant bird replacing the one you killed. IMO

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 05:37:13 PM »
You may find that you have more gobbling birds there than you thought with him gone.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 06:43:12 PM »
You may find that you have more gobbling birds there than you thought with him gone.

Yes.  My experience has proven this also. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 07:06:14 PM »
If this dominant gobbler theory is right, how in the world did the population continue to explode for decades before the population crash. Dominant birds have been getting killed on opening weekends in GA for years and years and years and up until about 6-8 years ago, the population was steady to increasing throughout the state.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 07:14:50 PM »
Honest question and not pot stirring. Do you think the increased use of gobbler decoys and tail fans have caused more dominate Tom's to die earlier in the season?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 07:35:11 PM »
Honest question and not pot stirring. Do you think the increased use of gobbler decoys and tail fans have caused more dominate Tom's to die earlier in the season?

Without question
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 07:44:39 PM »
  It's possible, but i see dominate gobbler less likely to leave his hens.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 07:46:14 PM »
  It's possible, but i see dominate gobbler less likely to leave his hens.

They will leave them in a heart beat if they feel challenged or threatened.