OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hikers and Bikers

Started by turkeyfool, May 09, 2021, 09:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

I live next to a large tract of BLM land that has always been very popular with horse riders. I usually figure I have to leave by about 8:00 because that is when they usually start showing up in the trails. A few years back found another spot on this same BLM land that  did not have as many riders, only came across one and it was later in the day. This year while hunting there came across three different hiking groups. On the west coast so it must be a national phenonium.

AndyN

Just hang a sign at the gate saying "man with gun in the area" and you'll scare most of those yuppies away.

bigriverbum

Quote from: turkeyfool on May 10, 2021, 10:26:37 AM
So actually, I went over to NY on Sunday because you can't hunt in Mass on Sundays. And the hikers were actually even worse in NY than they were in Mass. To most people reading this who aren't from the Northeast, you're probably thinking "oh, well it's New York so of course". But the funny thing is, the majority of upstate NY is more rural and sparsely populated than most areas the in the south! So it just kind of blows my mind that there were that many people out and about on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings. I'm guessing a lot of these people were travelling from some of the major areas and doing a weekend hiking trip, but it really pissed me off. There are quite a few yuppies in Mass though  :TooFunny:

i'd think it has more to do with the fact that the weather sucks for half the year and people get excited to get out and enjoy the woods when they can

Sir-diealot

So actually, I went over to NY on Sunday because you can't hunt in Mass on Sundays. And the hikers were actually even worse in NY than they were in Mass. To most people reading this who aren't from the Northeast, you're probably thinking "oh, well it's New York so of course". But the funny thing is, the majority of upstate NY is more rural and sparsely populated than most areas the in the south! So it just kind of blows my mind that there were that many people out and about on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings. I'm guessing a lot of these people were travelling from some of the major areas and doing a weekend hiking trip, but it really pissed me off. There are quite a few yuppies in Mass though  :TooFunny:
Yea people hear NY and they think NYC right away. I went to OKC to visit and a woman looked at me and said "It must be nice to get away from all those people in NY" She was very surprised when I told her that OKC held more people than my entire county times almost 26
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

turkeyfool

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 10, 2021, 12:13:29 PM
Yea people hear NY and they think NYC right away. I went to OKC to visit and a woman looked at me and said "It must be nice to get away from all those people in NY" She was very surprised when I told her that OKC held more people than my entire county times almost 26

^Oh yeah, I mean you can be 6 hours from NYC and in the same state. That's equivalent to being in southern IL down by Kentucky and Chicago being in the same state, but 6 hours north. I've hunted NY 2 or 3 times now. Beautiful state but the weather is kind of depressing. The terrain makes it really tough, I've struck out every time

Sir-diealot

Quote from: turkeyfool on May 10, 2021, 12:27:37 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 10, 2021, 12:13:29 PM

^Oh yeah, I mean you can be 6 hours from NYC and in the same state. That's equivalent to being in southern IL down by Kentucky and Chicago being in the same state, but 6 hours north. I've hunted NY 2 or 3 times now. Beautiful state but the weather is kind of depressing. The terrain makes it really tough, I've struck out every time
I love this state with all my heart, but I hate the Democrats that have ruined it and made it so hard for gun owners and sports-persons in general. Most gun shops can't stay in business anymore because they have been regulated into submission. So beautiful and I love that weather you are talking about, had snow opening day last year I think it was.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CALLM2U

There is a National Forest near where I live that has a lot of hikers and bikers.  But they generally stick to established trails so I can avoid them. 

topnotch

Times are a changing. Here in East TN there are thousands of acres of public land (cherokee national forest) but most of the access is at Appalachian trail heads) you can forget weekends. There are a lot more hikers than hunters in the spring.

ddturkeyhunter

All part of hunting figureing out the birds and how to stay away from people. I have a very funny memory of a hunt last spring in WI. Had a hiker with his dog come through woods, as the guy dog was sniffing where i was hidding in the brush pile. The guy was bending over taking a selfie with his phone with my hen turkey decoy in the back ground. My only regret is it happen so quick that i didnt have time to get my own pictures.

Old Timer

Very common in NY now. I went to an old spot the other day that has a nice stand of pines off the trail where i have worked birds in the past. 3 different sets of folks walking dogs and a runner. Most of this has happened since the pandemic.

kennedyh1990

I ran into a group of about 30 guys playing airsoft war on a piece of public in South Dakota last year. Absolutely blew my mind when I was walking down the trail and saw people running toward me with army camo and ar-15 style air soft rifles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sungrazer

On Illinois public it's Morel hunters, and post pandemic, Hikers. Most people have absolutely no clue about Turkey season, and the fact that Hunting areas are closed till 1 pm. I waited to hit my local Morel spot last week till 1pm, ran into a guy way far away from his vehicle, and spoke to him mainly to see what he had picked where I normally hunt. He told me he had been out all morning and hadn't seen any of them Deer hunters. I explained the season and the rules to him to which he just shrugged " yeah I haven't seen any of those guys".
One of the joys of public land...

Greg Massey

Saturday in Mo. a hiker was almost killed by a turkey hunter, the hunter mistake him for a turkey. This happen around 12:30 and from what i understand that area was closed to Hikers until 1 clock...

TauntoHawk

Covid shutting down lot of indoor activities forced people to find nature again. When lock downs first struck I went from always being the only one out trail running to packed parking lots

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Turkeyman

I was bow hunting a field edge yesterday morning. About 11:00 two ladies came walking by me with their dogs. They apologized...I said that's okay I was leaving anyhow. People are definitely out and about.