turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ideal 20 Gauge pattern

Started by Shoreguy, May 06, 2021, 08:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoreguy

I set up a 20 gauge with an indian creek .555 choke shooting TSS 1 5/8 ounce #9's.  I got a nice even wide pattern with 267 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.  Should I keep messing with different chokes to try to get a little tighter pattern? I was wondering what everyone thought the ideal number of pellets should be with a 20 gauge 1 5/8 ounce #9 load 40 yards in a 10 inch circle. 

Gooserbat

When I shot a 20 ga I was in the 260-270 range and I really liked how it performed in the woods.  My pattern had plenty of range and was still somewhat forgiving up close.  I cleanly killed birds from 10 yards to 60.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

CALLM2U

I suppose it really depends on what you're looking for.  That's a good pattern number, especially if it's nice and even.   

I settled on 575 because I have some closer shots so I'm normally in the 240-250 at 40. (1 1/2oz)

Yoder409

Cheeeeeeze whiz !!!!    ;D

I'd say you're to the point of squeezing blood from a turnip.  Never a bad thing to want to completely maximize your setup.  But as far as killing turkeys goes......... I don't think you have any concerns.

Heck............. we're running old skool Federal Heavy 7's in our 20's.  One averages 135.......the other 150.  No turkey at any reasonable distance will walk away from either one.  You are golden.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

honker22

Y'all don't be scared of trying your factory chokes that come with it.  Here is my modified which is what I've been running for a few years now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

davisd9

260-280 with that shell. Good core but plenty of room for error.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

aclawrence

Quote from: honker22 on May 06, 2021, 09:15:45 AM
Y'all don't be scared of trying your factory chokes that come with it.  Here is my modified which is what I've been running for a few years now. 

That's a factory modified at 40yds?  Impressive

Dtrkyman

I would say so on that modified pattern!   

3bailey3

good pattern but all in the breast, bring it up some..

honker22

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 09, 2021, 09:20:15 PM
good pattern but all in the breast, bring it up some..

This was my 7 year old's first shot at paper, and I told him to aim where the neck meets the body (he tends to flinch low as he pulls the trigger)... he was close enough!

honker22

Yessir it is the same modified choke that came with the gun in 1994.  This is the first gun my dad ever gave me when I was 10 years old.

[/quote]
That's a factory modified at 40yds?  Impressive

[/quote]

3bailey3

oh that's a great first shot and great pattern!

ShootingABN!

I'd keep it right there..

Old boy says.... Send it!

Jimspur

When copperplated lead was in you'd be lucky to have 100 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I think you'll be ok.