Main Menu

11-87 damaging shell brass

Started by Jimspur, May 08, 2021, 06:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog3355

Quote from: fallhnt on May 09, 2021, 02:49:55 PM
Quote from: maddog3355 on May 09, 2021, 12:43:04 PM
Quote from: fallhnt on May 09, 2021, 11:34:21 AM
I have one I bought in '89 and it dosen't want to eject anything but turkey loads now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Have you replaced the O ring?
No,you think that's all it needs?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That would be the first thing and cheapest thing I would try. Back when Remington was in business you could call them up and they would send you a couple for free.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Jimspur on May 09, 2021, 12:37:21 PM
I just went and loaded my gun and tried to get the shells out of the
mag tube before I ejected the one out of the chamber.
I wasn't able to do it because the carrier doesn't rise up high enough
to clear the brass. After I depress the feed latch the brass hits the carrier
and prevents the shell from coming out of the mag tube.

One last trick. So my Ex Wifes 1100 20 youth turkey model.... It's really tight tolerances. When you push the carrier to the bolt, then press the piece on the side. Push the brass slightly inside the mag tube when it is being pushed out guide it out and away from the feed catch.... I had to do that with hers.... Because it was tight.... However I could still remove them from the mag tube without cycling them in the barrel.

Good luck.

Jimspur

Quote from: ShootingABN! on May 10, 2021, 10:05:04 PM
Quote from: Jimspur on May 09, 2021, 12:37:21 PM
I just went and loaded my gun and tried to get the shells out of the
mag tube before I ejected the one out of the chamber.
I wasn't able to do it because the carrier doesn't rise up high enough
to clear the brass. After I depress the feed latch the brass hits the carrier
and prevents the shell from coming out of the mag tube.

One last trick. So my Ex Wifes 1100 20 youth turkey model.... It's really tight tolerances. When you push the carrier to the bolt, then press the piece on the side. Push the brass slightly inside the mag tube when it is being pushed out guide it out and away from the feed catch.... I had to do that with hers.... Because it was tight.... However I could still remove them from the mag tube without cycling them in the barrel.

Good luck.

Thanks ABN - I will try that in the morning and report back. I replaced the magazine tube spring a year or two ago and I kept the old one. The newer one is 3 inches longer than the old one. The newer one sticks out of the tube 8 1/2 inches, and the old one sticks out of the tube 5 1/2 inches.

THattaway

It's the extractor. Out of specs slightly. O ring has nothing to do with it nor how you load or unload the gun. I'd look at grinding the grove out a little so that it's even with the bolt face or take it to a gunsmith for same. Good luck.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Jimspur

I just loaded and unloaded the gun by hand numerous times. It's not the extractor causing the marks. I took a brand new shell and chambered it and pulled the bolt back to unload it 5 times. It has no marks on it. What is causing the marks on the edge is the interceptor latch. I loaded the gun with 3 shells, one in the chamber and two in the magazine tube. When you pull the bolt back the one in the chamber goes out, the first one out of the magazine tube goes onto the carrier, and the last one in the magazine tube gets stopped from coming out of the tube by the interceptor latch.
The magazine tube spring pressure is slamming that last shell into the interceptor latch causing the denting on the edge. I had replaced the magazine tube spring a year or two ago and yesterday I put the older weaker one in there and the denting of the brass has been reduced by 50%. I also tried again to unload the magazine tube by hand by holding the gun upside down, pushing the carrier towards the bolt, releasing the feed latch, and trying to finagle the shell out of the magazine tube but it won't clear the carrier.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Jimspur on May 11, 2021, 09:59:22 AM
I just loaded and unloaded the gun by hand numerous times. It's not the extractor causing the marks. I took a brand new shell and chambered it and pulled the bolt back to unload it 5 times. It has no marks on it. What is causing the marks on the edge is the interceptor latch. I loaded the gun with 3 shells, one in the chamber and two in the magazine tube. When you pull the bolt back the one in the chamber goes out, the first one out of the magazine tube goes onto the carrier, and the last one in the magazine tube gets stopped from coming out of the tube by the interceptor latch.
The magazine tube spring pressure is slamming that last shell into the interceptor latch causing the denting on the edge. I had replaced the magazine tube spring a year or two ago and yesterday I put the older weaker one in there and the denting of the brass has been reduced by 50%. I also tried again to unload the magazine tube by hand by holding the gun upside down, pushing the carrier towards the bolt, releasing the feed latch, and trying to finagle the shell out of the magazine tube but it won't clear the carrier.

She's tight!

TKE921

I unload mine right side up, push in the latch and push down on the shell.  Sometimes you have to push up on the lifter and down on the shell, but they always manage to be removed.

Jimspur

Quote from: TKE921 on May 11, 2021, 03:00:30 PM
I unload mine right side up, push in the latch and push down on the shell.  Sometimes you have to push up on the lifter and down on the shell, but they always manage to be removed.

You're doing this with the bolt closed and one in the chamber?

TKE921

Yes sir.  Bolt closed, round chambered.  I push the latch, push up on the lifter and push the shell down towards the ground and let it slide out.

Jimspur

Quote from: TKE921 on May 11, 2021, 03:30:13 PM
Yes sir.  Bolt closed, round chambered.  I push the latch, push up on the lifter and push the shell down towards the ground and let it slide out.

I tried that with mine and it just barely hangs up on the carrier or lifter by about 1/32". No go.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Jimspur on May 11, 2021, 03:47:22 PM

I tried that with mine and it just barely hangs up on the carrier or lifter by about 1/32". No go.

1000 grit wet/dry paper LOL. Just kidding or????? Naw don't do it.....

Jimspur

Quote from: ShootingABN! on May 11, 2021, 09:30:44 PM
Quote from: Jimspur on May 11, 2021, 03:47:22 PM

1000 grit wet/dry paper LOL. Just kidding or????? Naw don't do it.....

Hahaha - no sanding. The old spring which is shorter doesn't do it as bad.
Gonna call it good as gun functions perfectly.