OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Awful pattern with new SXP?  (Read 4006 times)

Offline NYthunderchicken

Awful pattern with new SXP?
« on: May 08, 2021, 09:05:53 AM »
Just patterned my new winchester SXP longbeard.  Was not impressed, not sure what to do.  62 pellets in the 10 ring at 50 yards with 3 inch federal #9 TSS, with the carlson choke it comes with (I think its a .665).  Cleaned the gun quick but didn't mess with patches or anything just 4 or 5 pulls with the bore snake.  My brother shoots an SX3 with an indian creek tube so will try that tube on this gun, but expensive to pattern with TSS.  Not looking to take birds past 55 yards or so, but figured on a higher pellet count than that with 9s. 

Any suggestions? 

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Awful pattern with new SXP?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »
Um noticing your name it seems you are from NY if you are hunting here in NY those 9's are illegal, you can only shoot up to (or down to depending on how you view it) number 8's in NY I would hate to see you lose your license over a mistake, bugs me that some places sell it here even though it is illegal to use here.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline RemingtonRules

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 04:31:33 PM »
How big of a piece of paper were you shooting?  Funny people start at 50 yards to pattern now. 

Offline NYthunderchicken

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 05:43:38 PM »
thank you for the reminder, yes aware NY state is #2-#8 but I hunt a lot of states and use the 9s where legal. 
I also have some browning TSS blend shells, they are like 7,8,9 wonder if those would qualify as legal in NY? 

Started patterning much tighter, looked good at 30 and 40 with my old loads (Hevi 13 blends) but I didn't want to burn through too many TSS rounds as they are expensive and just wanted to see what one would do at 50 and was surprised.  I guess I was hoping for at least 100 pellets in 10 inch ring. 
My buddy is a surveyor so I get those giant sheets of paper for him.  Using pretty big paper, no idea how big but like truck hood size approx.

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 08:03:05 PM »
Over 60 pellets at 50 yards seems legit to me.

Offline NYthunderchicken

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 07:54:44 AM »
maybe Im off base and should be happy w that.  I usually don't pattern that far, but to be honest, my first time patterning with tss 9s.  shot them for a few years now, but would just shoot them at distances that my old hevi shot magnum blend would reach out to and assume it was more lethal. 

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 04:23:45 PM »
3 in the head he,s dead.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 08:43:15 AM »
Just patterned my new winchester SXP longbeard.  Was not impressed, not sure what to do.  62 pellets in the 10 ring at 50 yards with 3 inch federal #9 TSS, with the carlson choke it comes with (I think its a .665).  Cleaned the gun quick but didn't mess with patches or anything just 4 or 5 pulls with the bore snake.  My brother shoots an SX3 with an indian creek tube so will try that tube on this gun, but expensive to pattern with TSS.  Not looking to take birds past 55 yards or so, but figured on a higher pellet count than that with 9s. 

Any suggestions?

My friend has the same gun. He uses the Carlsons .665 choke with 3 1/2 inch Winchester Longbeard 5’s. Great pattern....
“Solo hunter”

Offline NYthunderchicken

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 01:28:33 PM »
thank you for the help Tom007

gun had a great season , killed 4 toms with 4 shells, but all inside of 35 yards.  I like to get em close of course but wanna be sure this thing will reach out to 60 nicely on paper before I take a 50 yarder in the field which is my self imposed limit with TSS and 12 ga.
hope you had a great season.

Offline gobblerman87

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 11:39:20 AM »
Try the Carlson longbeard choke .665 #6 lbxr 3” they pattern amazing in that gun with that setup

Offline kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 11:28:56 PM »
60 in the 10" ring with TSS 9's is really bad, you should easily get three times that many hits at that distance. Are you shooting at a pre-drawn 10" circle or shooting then drawing a circle around the densest part of you pattern?