OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The bird you had to work for  (Read 1098 times)

Offline chadly

The bird you had to work for
« on: May 06, 2021, 09:07:41 AM »
So rewarding when it all comes together.  My second and final tag for the season was a struggle.  I had hunted essentially 3 ½ days.  I saw lots of birds, boogered a few birds, and for a first in my life even passed on a bird.  I really wanted a memorable hunt that would stick with until next season.  I was looking for mushrooms in a woods I have never killed a bird in.  I bow hunt deer there and don’t see a lot birds but they are there.  It was just before 1pm and I let out a series of calls and I got an answer not too far away.  I moved to a shady tree and set up.  He gobbled two more times while I set up.  I called he answered.  There I sat for a 25 minutes and nothing.  I called again and he thunders back at me but he has not moved an inch.  I now know right where he is so I decided to close the gap.  He is roughly 150 yards away.  The problem is there is no wind and the oak leafs that litter the ground are so brittle that every step seems to echo forever.  I moved about 25 yards and call.  Sure enough he answers from the same spot.  I sat there 15 minutes and nothing.  I call and he cuts me off.  He still has not moved an inch.  I move again 15 yards.  I figure he is 100 yards now and no way can I make another move.  I call rather aggressive and he is still in the same spot.  About this time I hear scratching to my side.  It’s a hen and she might bust me.  15 minutes go by and I finally see him at 65 yards as comes out of strut.  I call and no answer but he knows right where I am.  He looks like he going to skirt around me and go to the scratching.  My arms are getting sore from holding the gun the last hour and I’m really questioning if this is going to happen.  Finally after eternity had passed I see him 30 yards away.  His head is sideways as he is listening for me.  He frozen like a statue.  His only movement is to blink.  I was lucky as my gun was pointed right at him and I was tucked in for the shot.  I stalled to see if he would come closer but quickly decided this was a fun hunt and here is where my season would end.  My heart started to race and my legs start shaking.  The instinct to flinch and yank the trigger set in.  I calmed myself and took a few breaths.  He still has not moved and staring right my way.  I pull the trigger so slow it startled me.  It was a feeling of joy and relief as my season was now over.  24lbs 6oz. 

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
Re: The bird you had to work for
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 09:11:59 AM »
Congrats
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
Congrats

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 12:58:24 PM »
Congrats, sounds like a great hunt.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 07:19:07 PM »
nice job! smart bird

usually if i get one to gobble around 1pm he's coming whether i like it  or not lol

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 09:59:54 PM »
Congrats on a nice gobbler

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 02:56:38 AM »
Congrats!

Offline chadly

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 08:37:47 AM »
Thanks.  I saved his wings as I'm going to try to make a wing bone call.  It will be a few weeks before I a chance to mess with them though. 

Offline OJR

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 12:32:15 PM »
Excellent! Congratulations!

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 04:12:03 PM »
Congrats, good read.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Gobbler-one

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 10:42:41 PM »
Congrats on a well earned and nice looking gobbler.

Offline richard black

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 08:09:18 AM »
Very nice read. Congratulations on a well earned bird.