turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Passing on 2 year Turkey?

Started by fadetoblack188, May 05, 2021, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAGinVA

Any mature gobbler (2 yo or more) is a trophy.

bonasa

Quote from: fadetoblack188 on May 05, 2021, 10:24:25 AM
When you guys Turkey hunting will you try and pass on a Turkey you believe to be 2 years old and wait and pray at 3 plus Turkey comes around?

I just feel Turkey hunting isn't easy, and take that first legal bird that comes in.

What are your thought?

A lot of good info on this board to shorten your learning curve in this game. At this point in your turkey hunting career the least of your concerns should be the size of the spurs/beard your bird sports. Read up, ask away and hunt smarter not harder.

fadetoblack188

I am new to the game. I don't know. I am just a deer hunter gone Turkey hunter now.  I shot my first bird Tuesday morning .

Swenny

Quote from: Bedge7767 on May 05, 2021, 02:07:27 PM
Quote from: hootgobbleyelpgobble on May 05, 2021, 01:12:36 PM
A full fan gets the hammer regardless of beard or spur length for me.

X2
Ditto

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

fadetoblack188

RutnNStrutn

Full fan or long beard, and I shoot.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

budtripp

Good god, please don't bring trophy hunting into turkey hunting. Full fans get shot. Maybe even a jake under the right circumstances

richard black

A full fan and a good ethical shot. No jakes.

quavers59

2 year old Gobblers make even a newbie a " worldbeater"!
    Swat him-- that 2 year old is a Trophy.

g8rvet

Full fan for me, in almost all cases.   I have shot a jake that gobbled hard, ran off a mature bird and strutted his way in to me. I don't know, the devil made me do it-I was shocked when he turned sideways and had a 4" beard.  I passed three slam dunk jakes this year, one was strutting like a maniac with four hens around him.  I shot him-with my iPhone video camera!  lol 

I had all intentions of shooting a jake in the fall with my m/l but he never offered a clean shot. I passed on the boss hen. 

I have had shot opportunities on bearded hen twice and did not shoot either time. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BigSlam51

I'm shooting the first full fan longbeard that offers me a shot. I don't shoot jakes or bearded hens. I've had a few opportunities at bearded hens and I just can't kill a egg layer, plus they don't have spurs, I like spurs

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

fadetoblack188

What classifies a full fan? Is my bird a full fan?

guesswho

Quote from: fadetoblack188 on May 05, 2021, 09:00:55 PM
Yes, yours is full.  Jakes will have longer center feathers.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Paulmyr

Yes yours is a full fan. jakes will have longer feathers in the center of the fan compared to the outside. They molt from the center out.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

roosterstraw

Yeah, it has a full fan. For me I go by the beard and fan. I don't shoot jakes and couldn't tell you the difference between a 2 yr old bird and a 5 year old bird.