OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: My new custom dedicated turkey gun is ready!  (Read 4146 times)

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: My new custom dedicated turkey gun is ready!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 05:41:11 AM »
Thanks guys and Tarjac did an excellent job. I hope to have a bird with it by the end of the month but it's a rough season for me. Had some very nice looking patterns with it and an I.C. 575 but will hopefully get to finish the patterning job tomorrow.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline Mr. Nasty

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 01:43:12 PM »
Do you like having the sight mounted on your vent rib? How sturdy is it?

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 02:09:51 PM »
Do you like having the sight mounted on your vent rib? How sturdy is it?
Only a few shots fired through it but I will be putting more through tomorrow. So far its fine and from all the reviews on Meadow Creek Mounts I am expecting it to be fine. I will be sighting in and firing some heavy Apex loads tomorrow after I leave the woods.

Offline Mr. Nasty

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 02:13:07 PM »
Please keep us posted. I'm interested in the vent rib mount style

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2021, 05:23:58 AM »
Yes, please keep us up to date on how it patterns and how well the camo holds up. Again, that's a great lookin gun!

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2021, 08:10:43 AM »
She came out nice!

Any updates to share? How is the cheek weld with the rib mount and RMR ?  :blob10:

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 08:54:07 AM »
The gun throws a great pattern using an IC 575 and Apex 3” number 8’s. I did not count pellet holes but I will when I have to sight in again. Now I am changing sights for 2 reasons but not because of cheek weld or the Meadow Creek mount. I simply do not like the way the buttons on the Trijicon are arranged and also the fact that I will have to remove the sight to change batteries. That gets expensive with TSS because I would always have to confirm zero again.

The meadow creek mount did make the Trijicon sit high and I did put on a Neoprene Accu-Riser for proper cheek weld but I really don’t think you can avoid that with any scope or red dot. I see guns all the time without a cheek riser but I believe they are just lifting their heads enough to see the red dot and making it work. I could have done the same with the Trijicon but I want proper shooting form. I have an Aimpoint Micro S1 on the way and still might need that cheek pad.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:42:36 AM by lunghit »

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 09:10:47 AM »
The gun throws a great pattern using an IC 575 and Apex 3” number 8’s. I did not count pellet holes but I will when I have to sight in again. Now I am changing sights for 2 reasons but not because of cheek weld or the Meadow Creek mount. I simply do not like the way the buttons on the Trijicon are arranged and also the fact that I will have to remove the sight to change batteries. That gets expensive with TSS because I would always have to confirm zero again.

The meadow creek mount did make the Trijicon sit high and I did put on a Neoprene Accu-Riser for proper cheek weld but I really don’t think you can avoid that with any scope or red dot. I see guns all the time without a cheek riser but I believe they are just lifting their heads enough to see the red dot any making it work. I could have done the same with the Trijicon but I want proper shooting form. I have an Aimpoint Micro S1 on the way and still might need that cheek pad.

Good luck with it, you’ll love the Aimpoint, sits nice and low....
“Solo hunter”

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 11:17:28 AM »
Thanks Tom. It’s arriving today and should be heading up to turkey camp on Wednesday and Thursday to hunt and sight in. I’ll let you know how things go.

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »

The meadow creek mount did make the Trijicon sit high and I did put on a Neoprene Accu-Riser for proper cheek weld but I really don’t think you can avoid that with any scope or red dot. I see guns all the time without a cheek riser but I believe they are just lifting their heads enough to see the red dot and making it work. I could have done the same with the Trijicon but I want proper shooting form. I have an Aimpoint Micro S1 on the way and still might need that cheek pad.

Lh.......good feedback sir! Very much appreciated! I have a SX4 Universal Hunter in 20 ga on the way shortly and I happen to have a S-1 Aimpoint sitting unused in my safe......hmmm !

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2021, 08:16:58 PM »
My SX4 in 20 gauge shoots dead on POA/POI at 40 with the bead. I’m going to hunt it with just a bead because sometimes I just want simplicity. I killed a turkey the other day with that gun and while I much prefer a red dot the simple bead was kind of nice lol. You will love the SX4

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 09:25:53 PM »
Excellent point. I have an 870 compact that I use a bead only on.....eyes aren’t as good as they once were so don’t prefer it BUT I’m with you on simplicity. Especially if there may be rain showers or towards the end of the season with green-up.....where things can get real up close and personal. I will check POA/POI and go from there.

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 09:27:17 PM »
Oh....check out the Will Primos vest thread.....some info and pics in there for you.  :santaclaus:

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 04:52:59 AM »
Oh....check out the Will Primos vest thread.....some info and pics in there for you.  :santaclaus:

I saw and responded. Thanks again for that! It looks like a great vest and is high on my list.