OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fallen Gladiator  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
Fallen Gladiator
« on: May 05, 2021, 10:55:02 PM »
Okay this all started two weeks ago and four hours from home.  Dad and I take an annual trip to a WMA somewhere in Oklahoma.  Birds were tough this year. We started hunting on the 19th.  On the morning of the 22nd I found "Egghead" as I named him.  Hunted him all day for 3 Days straight and stayed over and hunted again the morning of the fourth day.  I never got aggressive with him and let him make his moves. He stayed in the same core area that may have been 100 acres.  He didn't respond to call until the fourth morning but got a ravine between us and never got in range. To make matters worse he had an obnoxious girlfriend and he just was stubbornly infatuated with her.

I came home got a bunch of work done and studied on the moves from my game with Egghead.  I realized that while he was giving me the slip he always passed around the head of a certain draw.  He just approaced from different directions...

This past Sunday night after church I drove back to the wma with four days of season left.  Monday morning he was still in the same spot. Monday was a repeat of a week before, so was Tuesday except I was in position to cut him off at the draw... And he went the other way.

Today, next to the last day of season I didn't hunt him off the roost but showed up about 10:30. He gobbled at a crow around 10:50, and 10:52 and 10:53 and 10:55. You get it.  I slipped in above his position and set up about 100 yards from where I thought he was.  I very lightly yelped 3 times and silence, 30 minutes later, still nothing. 

I had crows calling and he was saying nothing. I thought why not so I owl hooter and he blows up just where I last heard him. 

I was once told if you can't call em, crawl em.  I slowly crawled 60-70 yards to where I could just peep over the edge and down to the next bench.  I waited just a minute and he steps out from behind a pine at about 40 yards.  TSS does weird things to turkeys.  So often they don't flop, and I've still not gotten over that.

Oh yeah 1 1/4" spur, 10" beard 19lbs 6oz and came from a hard hunted wma.  Old warrior bird.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Sanders153

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Lord Jesus Christ - The Way, Truth, and the Life.
Re: Fallen Gladiator
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 10:59:33 PM »
A massive accomplishment friend. As an Okie, I can tell you our birds are down in numbers something awful. You did something not many fellas did here this spring

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:16:36 PM »
Here's a couple more pics of Egghead and one of Dad and the great bird he took during the first trip.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 11:36:47 PM »
Congrats on a hard earned gobbler

Online Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 12:04:51 AM »
Congrats on the bird, but it sounds like he nearly won the war this year.

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 07:22:34 AM »
Nice. Those birds you build a little history with are special. Unfortunately my two birds like that  gave me the slip for the 3-4 days I got to chase them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 08:35:37 AM »
Congrats on a great bird.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 08:55:36 AM »
Congrats! You earned that gobbler.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline chadly

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 09:05:44 AM »
Nice bird.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »
Congrats good bird

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline OJR

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 12:44:31 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline J.D. Shellnut

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »
Nothing more satisfying than that! Congratulations!!!
60% of the time it works every time!

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 02:00:22 PM »
Great story, thanks for sharing it!

Offline sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 02:29:05 PM »
great bird and a very memorable hunt for sure. thumbs up to your dad as well..

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 04:04:41 PM »
Congrats to you both. Hopefully his offspring provide same challenge in the future for you both.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr