OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: For everyone hunting KS this weekend.  (Read 1416 times)

Offline AndyN

For everyone hunting KS this weekend.
« on: April 16, 2021, 09:26:32 AM »
For everyone hunting KS this weekend...Just because you have a jacked up truck with mud tires don't assume you can make it down every single dirt road. I was going sideways down a normally good gravel road on my way to work this morning .5-1" of rain plus snow on top turns these roads to grease. The birds will still be there when it dries up. No reason to piss off landowners or tear up roads on a wildlife area. As far as pressure report further west where everyone wants to go, two WIHAs with a combined huntable area of about 60 acres had 5 trucks yesterday. It's wide open stuff with enough room to hunt two people and there's only 2 gobblers out there. Aside from that good luck to everyone. Birds are finally starting to break up with a few groups of 20-30 birds still hanging together.

Offline Kansan

Re: For everyone hunting KS this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »
Absolutely pouring here in southeast Kansas. Birds are getting fired up though! I’m waiting until tomorrow to hunt. I’ve never cared for hunting in the rain, and I’d prefer not to shoot a wet turkey.

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 11:58:33 AM »
Im sitting in my redneck blind right now. Im dry (except for my feet, shouldve put on the rubber boots instead of my goretex boots), but its a sloppy mess right now. Rain still coming down and wont end till this evening. Slim pickens in this part of the state. Coworker took his daughter on a youth hunt for their opener. 25 kids usually shoot 18 to 20 turkeys during the hunt. 4 were taken this year.

Offline AndyN

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »
Coworker took his daughter on a youth hunt for their opener. 25 kids usually shoot 18 to 20 turkeys during the hunt. 4 were taken this year.
Thanks the guides(market hunters) for that. All of these guys brag about 100+ bird years including a pile of jakes. They lease a place, kill off all of the males from a flock, then move on to the next property.

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 12:46:14 PM »
For everyone hunting KS this weekend...Just because you have a jacked up truck with mud tires don't assume you can make it down every single dirt road. I was going sideways down a normally good gravel road on my way to work this morning .5-1" of rain plus snow on top turns these roads to grease...

That's always my first piece of advice to anyone hunting Kansas, especially northern Kansas.  If there's so much as the slightest chance of rain, park where the gravel ends and walk.

Offline msturkeyman87

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 01:37:17 PM »
How are the turkey numbers looking around the Eureka area?