OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Would this trade be an upgrade?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Matt76cmich

Would this trade be an upgrade?
« on: May 01, 2021, 09:09:18 PM »
I'm thinking about trading in my Mossberg 835 Ultimag towards a Winchester SXP Longbeard. Would I be trading up or should I just keep the 835? I initially bought the 835 for all of its history as a turkey killing machine, but didn't know much else about it. Kinda in the same boat with the SXP Longbeard, I don't know a whole lot about it.

Thank you for any advice and info.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
Re: Would this trade be an upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 06:43:47 AM »
 :morning:
I’m afraid yer gonna open up Pandora’s box with this line of questions!  :popcorn:
Both are great guns with slightly different specs. Both can shoot 3.5” loads, but the Win has a pistol grip stock. The 835 has, essentially, a 10 gauge bore while the Win’s barrel is backbored. I’m pretty sure the 835 weighs more than the Win but I’d be willing to bet that the 835 kicks harder in recoil than the Win because Win engineered some recoil help into its design.
Have you shouldered the Win? Can you test fire one? It’s been my experience that Wins pattern extremely well with lead loads but I have not fired any other types of ammo. Of course the 835 has been a reigning champ on the pattern boards for years, not to mention its stellar performance in the field!
A question I have is on the pistol grip stocks: how do they carry with a sling? Does the grip bother the person carrying the gun?
Can you add the Win to yer collection? Solves one quandary... :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 06:55:34 AM »
I’m afraid yer gonna open up Pandora’s box with this line of questions!  :popcorn:
Both are great guns with slightly different specs. Both can shoot 3.5” loads, but the Win has a pistol grip stock. The 835 has, essentially, a 10 gauge bore while the Win’s barrel is backbored. I’m pretty sure the 835 weighs more than the Win but I’d be willing to bet that the 835 kicks harder in recoil than the Win because Win engineered some recoil help into its design.
Have you shouldered the Win? Can you test fire one? It’s been my experience that Wins pattern extremely well with lead loads but I have not fired any other types of ammo. Of course the 835 has been a reigning champ on the pattern boards for years, not to mention its stellar performance in the field!
A question I have is on the pistol grip stocks: how do they carry with a sling? Does the grip bother the person carrying the gun?
Can you add the Win to yer collection? Solves one quandary... :camohat:
I shouldered the Win on Friday and it felt good. I also added a pistol grip stock to my 835 and it carries well. My gun safe is full to the point I need another one or need to trade a gun for a new one lol.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 08:11:46 AM »
Keep the 835...then buy a new safe & the SXP. ;D

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 08:13:04 AM »
Well, if you “only” have one turkey gun, you can’t go wrong buying another! But I have five, so you probably shouldn’t listen to me! :funnyturkey:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:38:16 AM »
Well, I would say I have 3 dedicated turkey guns at the moment, the 835, M3020 (will be getting a Steadygrip stock when they are available and will likely be the go to gun since I have been stocking up Apex GT-20 shells), and a Stevens 301T 20 gauge.  I might just hold on to the 835 since I haven't taken a bird with it yet (only owned it since January) and for the nostalgia of what it is and doesn't sound like I would be upgrading if at all. Thanks for the help, now to start looking at bigger gun safes lol. My Michigan season can't get here soon enough!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 03:30:51 PM by Matt76cmich »

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 03:23:07 PM »
Well, be safe and have fun! It’s always nice to bring one home too!  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 04:07:19 PM »
If it were me and I customized my gun to the point that you have.... I'd keep the 835. That thing looks like a turkey killer.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 06:41:38 PM »
I went and looked at the Winchester SXP again last night since I had a decoy to return to the store. I didn't notice the placement of the safety the first time I checked it out and with me being a lefty I didn't care for it (on the front of the trigger gaurd). I'm sure it probably wouldn't be a problem and I could use my right hand to take the safety off, but I'm not sure if I would want to risk that much movement since I don't hunt in blinds. 835 is definitely being held on to now.