OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Got one...  (Read 1499 times)

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Got one...
« on: May 01, 2021, 11:40:34 AM »
Sorry later. Got to get to work. Craziest hunt I’ve ever been part of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Got one...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 11:42:02 AM »
Can’t wait to hear about it.

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »
Kris, that’s mean
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Well, I’ll simply give the shortest possible version of this I can. And before someone complains that this bird was bushwhacked, I’ll make no apologies. lol

On youth day, last weekend and the day my buddy took his boy in on this farm, the same bird (presumably) was in the same spot every morning. My buddy and I formulated a plan but things weren’t in stone due to his wife’s health issues. Late last night he texted to say it was a “go” so I told him the plan I had in mind. He was onboard. So, before daylight, we slipped into place. Guess what! He wasn’t there. He’d moved to the spot we’d been the previous trips. He and the group of 3 jakes gobbled well on the roost but went radio silent after fly down. Knowing this bird had a death wish, e we gave it the solid college try. But, after a bit, the wind kicked up and after sitting in the shade a while, I needed to move. So, we went for a walk on the farm. Glassed some fields. Nothing. Made a call and he thought he’d heard a bird but I was certain it was a woodpecker. My hearing is bad. His is worse.

Knowing the birds come through the gap we’d set up on around 8:30, we were set back up about an hour before. 8:50. No birds around. He and I both had things to do. We decided it was time to roll on. I know. It’s too early to leave but, I had work. Enough to fill an entire day. So, we decided to pack it in.

As we were getting ready to roll, I told him that I just had this strange feeling that the bird was just strutting out of sight and had been there all morning. He thought I was crazy but I told him I wanted to go check things out. He stayed. I crept to the gate. Was about to make a call but didn’t and thank goodness. If I had, all his attention would’ve been on me. Just before I got to the gate, where I could look into the field, I saw his head. 25 yards away. Maybe!! Leveled the gun, took aim and squeezed the trigger. This bird hadn’t made a sound in hours. Neither had the jakes. But, clearly, that didn’t save him.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 07:35:12 PM »

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 10:01:53 PM »
I will echo what Quinn said about my hunt “when it’s your time, it’s your time”.  Congrats

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 12:16:09 AM »

Pic from in the field. I enjoy hunting this farm. The rock breaks make for some good photo ops in my opinion.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 03:59:25 AM »
Awesome job with listening to your intuition. Congrats with a nice one!

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 04:22:29 AM »
Thanks Juice. Headed out again shortly to try for another.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 07:46:30 AM »
Congratulations bud, glad things turned around for you. Sitting here in the lower blind giving it a go myself, I have not heard a peep though I did hear some heavy wing flapping an hour ago. I decided to try no sound for half an hour, then will try again. Using a wing bone, trumpet and a pair of scratch boxes.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 07:48:24 AM »
Congratulations buddy nice
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 08:06:20 AM »
I’ve got birds answering. One has responded to everything. And I mean everything. Pretty certain he’s a 2 y/o. But the others are henned up pretty good. They respond but not as willing.