OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New Dedicated Turkey Rig  (Read 4048 times)

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
Re: New Dedicated Turkey Rig
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 08:16:26 AM »
I second the Stoeger & the Franchi. Have you given thought to Retay?
retayusa.com
Although, to stay under the 1k mark you may want to go with the Gordion series. Retay has completely eliminated the "click" that Benelli is oso famous for, however it's never been an issue to me. Tristar makes some really good guns. And please give the 20 gauge plenty of thought because as stated before it's no fad and unless TSS goes away,neither is the 20...or the  .410. Thats also an option for you especially if you are limiting shots to closer rather than far. Mossy does have that new  .410 in bottomland!!! Any which way you go let us know and good luck!!!

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2021, 08:42:03 AM »
Stoeger makes quality for the $, IMHO, and should get you under your estimate.  :camohat:
Drilled and tapped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2021, 11:38:15 AM »
Beretta A300 turkey model is a nice package and in your price range. My son has a standard A 300 and it is a very good shooting, reliable, affordable gun. Turkey model comes in camo and has a 24" barrel with fiber optic sights, mobile turkey choke and takes a Beretta optic mount.

Offline Big Jeremy

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 03:15:02 PM »
Bink mentioned Retay. I recently got a Masai mara, and so far it has been excellent! Killed my first turkey with it a few days ago. It's trigger is right about 5.5 lbs from the factory, and breaks cleanly with no creep...great shotgun trigger. Not sure if the Gordion would have the same trigger, but if so, I would recommend looking into Retay.

As far as trigger work goes, if you find a Remington that has a somewhat heavy trigger, you could swap out the springs with an MCARBO kit. I did that with my 870, and it made a substantial difference...it breaks at  under 4 lbs consistently. Turned an ok shotgun trigger into an excellent shotgun trigger.

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 03:41:05 PM »
I think the Weatherby SA-459 is worth a look. Reasonably priced and they feel great in the hands. I will have one in 20 gauge as soon as they become available again.

The Weatherby looks like a good/ modestly priced option. It sounds like the Tristar G2 referenced above is a clone. I’ll see if I can check one out.

The Weatherby is discontinued as far as heard. However, the Tristar pistol grip is pretty much idential ( I have both) along with a host of other "Turkish" built guns like Mossberg SA-20, etc, etc. Most of these guns are made at the same factory.. imported under a varaity of names.

Offline Mnpublichunter

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 11:05:39 PM »
Do not mean to start a beef with the 20 ga crowd. I know it will work just fine with modern loads and chokes.  Even if it is over powered, I don’t mid the extra weight or recoil for 12 ga, so I think I will be happier (personally) with the load selection over the next few decades.

I mentioned in a previous post I prefer to use non-toxic shot. Today with TSS there is availability in many brands, gauges, shot size, weights etc. Hopefully this abundance sticks around, but a few years ago my choices would be limited to Hevi 13 and Federal heavyweight if I wanted to not use lead.

If I have to buy new, I am leaning towards a Mossberg 930 or Beretta a300 turkey. Sounds like most have generally decent triggers, and it looks like the trigger on the 930 lends itself better to trigger work if needed than the Mossberg pumps. Neither has good adjustable sights from the factory from what I can see, so I’d be going down the optics rout.

On used guns, visited a few shops to look at selection. A few nice 870 Wingmasters selling for top dollar, I’m sure driven by the current environment and bankruptcy of Big Green. Between the price and the crime I’d be committing  by camo dipping over a nice blued finish, leaning more towards buying new or finding a cosmetically neglected 870 as a project starting point.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 11:51:12 PM »
Any way you go, good luck to ya, and don't hesitate to reach out. As you can see, most of us are eager to help and are just good ol' boys. Keep us apprised of what you decide to go with.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 07:57:45 AM »
I see in your post you are also considering a Mossberg 930. I would also consider the Mossberg 935. You may not want to shoot 3.5 shells, but the 935 has the same overbore size barrel that the 835 has, and is famous for the exceptional patterns it produces, even with 3" ammo. They come in turkey models with the features you are looking for. Good luck in your quest, it's always fun shopping for a new gun.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 09:21:26 AM »
I see in your post you are also considering a Mossberg 930. I would also consider the Mossberg 935. You may not want to shoot 3.5 shells, but the 935 has the same overbore size barrel that the 835 has, and is famous for the exceptional patterns it produces, even with 3" ammo. They come in turkey models with the features you are looking for. Good luck in your quest, it's always fun shopping for a new gun.
Haven't shot TSS out of my 835 yet,  but it loves 3" Longbeard XR #5s.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk