OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A cutting question  (Read 4487 times)

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: A cutting question
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 06:15:50 PM »
I’m just dumbfounded that in twenty seasons in the woods the OP has never heard a hen or jake cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 08:16:06 PM »
I hear and use cutting a good bit in the Spring. 

You can fire up a gobbler or pull a feisty hen to you with cutting. 

That being said, keep in mind, the competing callers are compacting a long sequence down to 3 mins or so.  That naturally adds more vocalizations in that what you would normally hear in the woods.

I had a competition cutting to a hen once that was so hard and went on for so long that my tongue could hardly move anymore (mouth call) and my right hand was going numb (pot call)…..eventually, there were gobblers gobbling on every hillside for as far as I could hear.
I had to laugh EZ, been there myself....lol
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 08:34:36 PM »

That being said, keep in mind, the competing callers are compacting a long sequence down to 3 mins or so.  That naturally adds more vocalizations in that what you would normally hear in the woods.

I had a competition cutting to a hen once that was so hard and went on for so long that my tongue could hardly move anymore (mouth call) and my right hand was going numb (pot call)…..eventually, there were gobblers gobbling on every hillside for as far as I could hear.
That’s how he got the nickname Numb Tongue Tony.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 08:59:38 PM »

That's the clean version  ;D

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »

That's the clean version  ;D

Offline RustyBarrels

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 10:25:12 PM »
Like i said, ive only heard it sprinkled in when theyre fighting
Thats why i only mix it with fighting purrs, & that works ridiculously well for me

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 02:27:33 AM »
Like i said, ive only heard it sprinkled in when theyre fighting
Thats why i only mix it with fighting purrs, & that works ridiculously well for me

Then it sounds like you should stick with it!

If I strike a bird that I hadn't previously(that day) been on while running and gunning, I love to fire back with some hard cutting. "Oh my goodness I thought I'd never find you, big boy!" type cutting. Works well!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »
Im sayin that Ive literally never even heard a bird do that in real life.   :P

I look at it like I did many (many, many) years ago when I was at a bar with my buddies and some "young thing" would say "hey, let's go to my place".  That rarely ever happened, but when it did, it sure got my attention,...and usually worked like a charm!   ;D :laugh:

Offline RustyBarrels

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2021, 06:14:18 PM »
I’m just dumbfounded that in twenty seasons in the woods the OP has never heard a hen or jake cut.

I think it's weird too! In that same vein, I'm also the 29 yr old who's never stumbled upon a shed.....  :TooFunny:

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2021, 11:06:49 AM »

Man I was thinking the same thing lol.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline tikka

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 10:47:37 AM »
new guy here,  lurked for a while but want to start adding info If I have some.

After reading this post I went our hunting in the afternoon.   Stating calling using yelps with cuts about every 15 minutes.   About 1 hour before quiting time I heard a gobble.   I waited for 10 minutes and just did cuts.   a Tom steps out into the field, sees my decoys and makes a beeline for my jake.   Hunt is over.   I have to believe cutting helped as I had called before just using yelps and nothing came in.

Thanks

Offline bonasa

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2021, 04:34:47 PM »
What is the all the rage over cutting? Over the past 20 spring seasons, I have never heard the cutting runs you'll hear Champ callers demonstrate. I've only witnessed individual cuts sprinkled in with aggressive purrs whenever I've seen birds fighting. Therefore that's the only scenario I imitate using cuts at all. Anyone else relate?

Hens cutt all the time when they are agitated, that is the hen that is best called in. I have thrown cutts in my calling sequence for 25 or so springs. I have mentored a few that believe in "over calling", when they witness calling in a boss hen and how you will flat out wear a hole in your call and a cramp in their hand, then they are a believer. Especially when it results in a spittin n drummin longbeard in the decoys.

Never bought into the light 'n low clucks and purrs every 30 min of the 'ol timers. Sounded like "snipe hunting" to me.  Seems like something an 'ol timer would say to a manlet with a mullet trying to kill a turkey to get views and likes on their instaweb

Offline roberthyman14

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 06:19:30 PM »
Cutting is my favorite call.  2x this season it brought in toms, I failed to capitalize though.  1st was early season, about 8:30 ish. We set up on a major feeding flat. Called soft, yelping and purring with tons of leaf scratches.  After about 30 minutes I got on the call hard a cutt up a storm.  Instant gobble at 500 yards at least.  Within 15 minutes we had 8 hens feeding in front of us.  They stayed about 15 minutes scratching leaves.  All the while the distant gobble kept gobbling and getting closer.  As the hens fed off he hammered in front of us.  The hens starting cutting like crazy. He kept gobbling and moved right to them. I cutt back but he wasn't turning around.  Then 2 more hammered 100 yards to our right.  Had them coming to us until a deer spooked and ran them over.  It started with cutting and ended with cutting.  Just hard to make a gobbler pass by live hens. 
2 weeks later we end up in the same spot for an afternoon hunt.  Very slow and quiet afternoon until Espo had a hen fight.  He was running 2 strikers on 1 pot call.  10 minutes later we had a gobbler spittin and drumming in the road behind us. 

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls