turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Custom or commercial call for long distance

Started by slave601, May 14, 2021, 09:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

Looking for a friction call that's more for cutting and loud yelping for locating/striking birds. My set up close calling will all be done with diaphragm. What call do y'all recommend? Thanks
"thinnin the flock"

compton30

First, I'd recommend a box call.

Second, I'd recommend aluminum/glass/crystal/green slate for a pot call surface. Any of those surfaces can blow your eardrums out if you want them to do so.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: compton30 on May 14, 2021, 04:19:40 PM

Second, I'd recommend aluminum/glass/crystal/green slate for a pot call surface. Any of those surfaces can blow your eardrums out if you want them to do so.
x2 on all said. Aluminum and other metallic surface calls cut the wind the best in my opinion.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: compton30 on May 14, 2021, 04:19:40 PM

Yep. This is the correct answer. Nothing to add. Box. And then metal and/or glass in a pot with a super dense striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slave601

I may go with a box. If I do I'll most likely try Matt Van Cise or David Halloran
"thinnin the flock"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: slave601 on May 14, 2021, 06:42:59 PM
I may go with a box. If I do I'll most likely try Matt Van Cise or David Halloran
I've got some really good boxes but the one I tote when I do carry one in the woods is a Halloran walnut/ebony. Sounds incredible but I think because it's a more commercial call I don't mind carrying it around and banging it up. Can't go wrong with either.

TalknTurkey

You might consider ceramic as well. I called in birds this season from a long way off on multiple hunts with a ceramic.

PEte_A

For this purpose I break out my halloran cedar purpleheart box, high front end. For pots that it would be my Dawkins aluminum in a plastic pot. Play that loud all day and your ears hurt!

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Greg Massey

I agree with others custom ceramic pot call, Crystal pot call and i will pick a high pitch box call. I will always have a high pitch box call in my satchel.

Terry

A tube or trumpet. I prefer trumpet but I think the right tube is a hair louder. The primos tube is ungodly loud

tha bugman

Quote from: Terry on May 15, 2021, 02:30:54 PM
A tube or trumpet. I prefer trumpet but I think the right tube is a hair louder. The primos tube is ungodly loud

The Primos tube is exactly what I used this year as it is LOUD!