turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eagle vs turkey?

Started by Hooter23, April 20, 2021, 05:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btomlin

We had a baldy attempt to steal one of our mallard dekes one morning.  We were stilling in the blind waiting on shooting time when all heck broke loose and saw this huge eagle gaining altitude.  All of a sudden, a decoy falls probably 30' from the sky when he let loose.  It was pretty neat.

bigriverbum

My friend had one attack his decoy in Iowa last week

I probably see a dozen eagles every day on my commute. They're everywhere

James gang

I know a guy that has a pic of a hen ( dead) falling limp directly below an eagle.I don't know if it dropped it or killed it in the air but one of the two.It is probably on the web he sent it to browning and they sent him some browning trail cams.He has it blown up on his wall.

Kylongspur88

We have several nesting pairs around my area now. A few years ago I saw a mature bald eagle kill a canada goose off a farm pond. Eagles are bad . I imagine a hen turkey would fare about as well as that goose did.

Which Gun

Yes eagles will keep turkeys out of a field. This year when I shoot my coyote I left it in the
Field went back later next day eagle a three buzzards were on carcass. This field always has
Turkeys in it but not this day.

Last year shoot a possum in field same scenario bald eagle on carcass within half hour of shooting no birds came to field until after it left.

FLGobstopper

Couple years ago in the afternoon sitting off a powerline creek crossing here in FL, had a lone strutter working towards me showing off slowly the whole way. Strut, stop, look, strut, stop, look, repeat from about 150-200 yds. Finally closing in on gun range at about 60-65 he does a duck and roll maneuver as something comes shooting in from above just missing him. Longbeard runs and launches into the air flying right over top of me into the woods and creek bottom behind me. I then got a close up view of a mature bald eagle giving chase. Craziest dang thing to witness and wish I had a video of it all. Really would of loved to have gotten that gobbler but very cool memory for sure.

I don't think that eagle got the gobbler. I saw it about 10 minutes later fly up into a big pine over top the powerline. Not sure if it had a nest or just found a good hunting ground. Hunted there once or twice more that season and didn't see or hear near the birds there as I had previously and ended up tagging my 2nd bird for the season off the same creek 1/4 or so mile away. Went back the next year preseason scouting and there were some birds but I also found a kill site where a coyote, eagle, owl, osprey or something got a hen (I think). Haven't been back to that powerline spot since.

Yoder409

Have had my DSD hen hammered by a redtail.  No eagles, yet.  But we've got enough of them that it could only be a matter of time.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

Watched one attempt to pick off a jake last Sunday

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club