OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Buckshot through IC  (Read 1695 times)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
Buckshot through IC
« on: April 19, 2021, 12:40:15 PM »
Would it be safe to shoot buck shot through my Indian Creek choke .665?  Been walking up on hogs and hate to let that good meat just slip away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pluffmud

Re: Buckshot through IC
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:14:02 AM »
Me personally, I would not shoot anything larger than 4s through that tight of a choke. Id be concerned about damaging the barrel, or even worse causing myself injury. The pellets are just too large for that tight a constriction and i wouldnt want to take the risk. I carry my .357 just for that reason lol.
Psalm 46:10

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 11:27:30 AM »
Me personally, I would not shoot anything larger than 4s through that tight of a choke. Id be concerned about damaging the barrel, or even worse causing myself injury. The pellets are just too large for that tight a constriction and i wouldnt want to take the risk. I carry my .357 just for that reason lol.
would #4's be sufficient to kill a hog?

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 02:40:47 AM »

TSS 4s sure would be...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline Sasha and Abby

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 06:58:25 PM »
I've done it several times...

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 04:50:06 PM »

TSS 4s sure would be...
these are lead #4's

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 07:58:39 AM »
Killed a piglet at close range once with lead 7.5s while grouse hunting. Buddy shot at mama with lead 6s as she ran by and she only squealed and kept going. So I would say yes with lead 4s but only if the hog was close.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 10:53:12 AM »
Lead Buckshot will be perfectly safe (check your regulations, most states restrict shot size in possession during Spring Turkey).
Lead 4's will work well if close, 2's will give you a little more range if you have some.