OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Dominant Tom Size  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Dominant Tom Size
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 10:02:03 PM »
The "baddest" is not always the preferred male   The preferred male may or may not be the most dominant.  Agree with Silvestris.

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 11:04:27 PM »
“ the boss “ May be dominate over the other gobblers , but the hens may prefer the Casanova on the next ridge to be the breeder...

Offline ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 12:12:10 AM »
Monday I took a bird that came in with another Tom. The bird I shot did all of the gobbling and he was the most aggressive towards the Jake decoy we had out. When I got to him and looked him over after I shot him, he was my biggest bird weight wise (24#) Pounds but he had one slick leg, and the other leg had a 5/8 spur. His rope was 10”. Today we had a Jake that gobbled at everything under the sun and completely abused a Jake and hen decoy. A mature bird entered the far end of the field and would not come any where near the aggressive Jake.  So after this week I am convinced it’s not always the biggest bird who is top dog.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 04:46:12 AM »
   In my experience domince isn't always based on size and weight. Very typical for a smaller more aggressive bird to be the number one boss in any given area.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 06:43:57 PM »
The mean one wins. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 03:49:43 AM »
The boss doesn’t always get to breed.  Smaller gobblers are often considered cuter by the hens.  Rape is not in the turkey vocabulary.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 08:24:25 AM »
Until the hen gets older and realizes Mr sleek, soy boy, man bun can't fix her car, hold down a job, build a house, and is even more emotional than herself. Then the preference changes. :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 12:57:10 PM »
Until the hen gets older and realizes Mr sleek, soy boy, man bun can't fix her car, hold down a job, build a house, and is even more emotional than herself. Then the preference changes. :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thats some funny stuff. :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 10:41:06 PM »
That there is funny happy