Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting from ground, how important is camo?

Started by suzukigs750ez, October 29, 2021, 10:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scattergun

Army surplus isn't what it used to be. It wasn't that many years ago surplus stores practically gave away jackets, backpacks, and ammo cans. Now everyone seems to think that's primo stuff. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with those assault packs as hunting day packs, and Molle is an interesting feature if you are into that sort of thing. Surplus steel ammo cans are still the gold standard, that I'm not aware of a better commercial option. I swear 15 years ago you could get an assault pack for $10, and ammo cans were less than that, I recall most places would give you a deal like $5 each if you bought 10 of them. Now you can't hardly find an ammo can under $15, and $20 is more realistic. I used to wear one of those army field jackets, and it was decent for what it was, and only $10. Now those same places are asking $75, $100 for a surplus jacket. It's really not that great of a jacket. Assault packs seem to be $100, I can think of better packs for $100. Mickey mouse boots are being asked as much as a lot of brand new boots, although some still seem to like the waterproof inside. Bunny boots are crazy expensive if you can even find them. I like my fur backed mittens, but not at the $50 they ask now. About the only good deals in military surplus anymore I can find are the duffel bags, tanker bags, and tool bags. All the real good stuff like 100% wool blankets seem to be gone, or priced as much as new. I still buy the steel ammo cans, they are worth the higher price. Not that long ago you could get polypropylene thermal underwear for dirt cheap, and it's actually decent, but now it seems like you can't even find the stuff at any price for some reason.

eggshell

wow scattergun, I didn't realize army surplus had went off the rails. I have a field coat that is from the 1970s and I still wear it for cold weather fishing and some hunting trips. They were made tough back then

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on November 09, 2021, 08:27:32 AM
wow scattergun, I didn't realize army surplus had went off the rails. I have a field coat that is from the 1970s and I still wear it for cold weather fishing and some hunting trips. They were made tough back then
Once the whole prepping thing got popular Army Surplus became very expensive. It increased a little under the Obama administration as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."