OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Heading to Oklahoma any adivce

Started by jaredmccullough, April 13, 2021, 09:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaredmccullough

As the title states. I have a blank canvas but only have two weeks to prepare for a 5 day hunt. Would be open to an and all insight. I am fully aware that it sounds as though the hunting is not near as good as it has been in the past.

DUCKDIGGLER

Good luck. Amazing state to chase turkeys in.    Binoculars and Cottonwoods are your friends! Oh....look down before you plop down. ENJOY!  :funnyturkey:

Gooserbat

Don't post on facebook if you kill more than one.  The hollier than thou's have made it their mission to save our turkey by only killing one Tom this season...

I'm going full heathen.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Ctrize

Put in your miles and dont give up.If birds are on private adjust your scouting to find those birds and public land where you can work them.

dah

They are not as  vocal this year where I hunt , even Jakes coming on silent approach . The hollier than thous say take one gobbler but I havent heard them talk about bearded hens , maybe I missed it , they say research is planned in the future , should have started five years ago or constantly stay on top of things , afraid  they are clueless on why bird numbers are declining and are going to treat for the flu when we have allergies . No worries , what is good for deer is good for everything .

wvmntnhick

Shoot straight?

As for declining numbers, I could be wrong in saying this but I believe it's more of a habitat issue than a hunting issue. Factor in low brood hatches and it's a bigger problem. I'm not saying that's the case there but it's happened here. The tide always brings highs and lows. Gotta ride the wave and make adjustments where needed. But, no need to go full tilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makestomstremble

Oklahoma still has birds, just not the numbers compared to 5-10 years ago. I have seen a good number of jakes, which I am excited about. We are just a couple of good hatches in a row away from getting numbers back up near what we were used to. I think weather is a huge factor in overall numbers. Good luck.