OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Going in at 8:30/9:00 am.  (Read 6632 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Going in at 8:30/9:00 am.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 10:04:45 AM »
As others have stated, there are lots of factors to consider in your decision-making process.  I personally prefer the "run & gun" approach, but that is contingent upon a few things. 

The size of the area you are able to hunt is obviously a key consideration.  Very small properties are less compatible with "R&G" style hunting tactics than larger areas.  Tailor your tactics to fit the area you are hunting.

Your familiarity with the property you are hunting is another consideration.  Hunting someplace where you are familiar with the habits and patterns of the turkeys would mean using a different approach than hunting a place that you do not know well.  Taking a WAG (wild-a$$ guess) in hunting an unfamiliar area is generally a poor strategy.  Taking some time to assess the area and conditions is usually a better strategy than walking into an unfamiliar woods and randomly plopping your butt down somewhere and hoping a gobbler shows up. 

Another consideration is the turkey density in an area relative to its size.  Hunting an area where turkeys are pretty uniformly distributed across the landscape requires different tactics than hunting a large area where turkey flocks might be miles apart with few or no birds in between.  It seems pretty obvious that you are less likely to kill a gobbler where they aren't than you are where they are.   ;D

Finding gobblers is much easier when you are in the woods when they are most likely to be gobbling.  That is, when they are "on the roost".  If at all possible, be out there at that time.  If not, try to assess the habitat and the habits of the turkeys you will be hunting as best you can,...and fit your hunting tactics to that assessment.   :icon_thumright:

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 03:57:34 PM »
Replying to the OP rather than subsequent posts. A friend...and very successful turkey hunter...is NOT an early riser. He generally hits the woods around 8:30-9:00. His success over the years is easily equal to the early risers.

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 07:25:09 AM »
On late morning and afternoon hunts, I usually run and gun. Move slow and call and listen every couple hundred yards. Seems like you have to be in their little "bubble" to respond most of the time for me. Just make sure when you call to be near a big tree to sit by. Sometimes they are just over the hill and come running.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 06:12:53 PM »
As many have said, a lot of turkeys die later in the morning. However if given the option I am still out at daylight if only to confirm there is a gobbler in the area.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 09:11:31 AM »
As many have said, a lot of turkeys die later in the morning. However if given the option I am still out at daylight if only to confirm there is a gobbler in the area.

Yup,....and there are places where that confirmation is absolutely essential!  Around these parts, stepping into the woods mid-morning and assuming there is a gobbler within earshot,...or further,...is usually a really big mistake!   :anim_25:

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 10:08:33 PM »
I have killed more gobblers later in the morning(after 9am) than early(daylight to 9am)morning. Run and gun on big expansions of public land late in the morning.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 11:23:07 PM »
I think going in around that time is fine. But I only really do that if I know the location already has birds. If not, I need to be there in the AM to confirm that.

Obviously if there’s not birds there then all the calling and covering ground won’t mean a thing.

I do prefer to be there at sun up, but don’t mind the 9am shift either. I’ll do that when I need a rest from waking up early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 06:40:10 PM »

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm with Happy on this. How I approach it, though after days on end its hard on the body.

One thing to be careful about trolling mid-day, not unusual to have one hammer your call and be standing there in just a few minutes when you get inside their bubble. Always be ready for a fast set up.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline RustyBarrels

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2022, 05:27:40 AM »
My favorite time to go in
It's so easy to leave at 9 bc he's henned up and Bojangles starts sounding real good around that time. 50% of the time I'll run into birds while walking out.
No such thing as going in late. Especially when the boys telling u that "u are late" are at bojangles bc they're empty handed

Offline Uncle Tom

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2022, 07:32:43 AM »
I don’t move around at all….have several areas I hunt from 500 ac. to as small as 30 ac. On these parcels I have hunted for years and know the lay of the land and where birds are likely to be at different times of the day and on into the season. Know all the hangouts, strut zones, and just always seem to know where I want to be each day…just luck some days and some days not. I get in most days at few minutes before light and move very little, call very little, and am most times seeing birds on up in the morning and early afternoons. Have killed many at 7:00 looking for that hen he just heard and probably most around 10:00 to 12:00 after hens have left him and he getting lonely….my favorite time. Don’t know the times they gobbled at first light and heard me softly calling….and showed up at 10:00 or after looking me… lot of sitting but go home with him over my shoulder. I don’t like to bump birds and don’t call much….both of these cases only educating an old gobbler. Nothing against run and gun if you young and enjoy that. I just like sitting and bring him in to my sit up and playing the game with him.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2022, 08:47:18 AM »
I understand hitting the woods later in the morning IF a guy can't be there at daybreak,...and I also agree that often times, you are likely to find a willing gobbler a little later in the morning.  However, the idea of passing up being in the woods as they wake up and all the wondrous things that occur during those moments,...well, that's just foreign to me.  I don't really care if I kill that gobbler as he comes off the roost at first light, but I sure as heck want to be there to hear him, and maybe see him, when he is getting ready to do that!  To me, THAT is the essence of spring gobbler hunting.

In over five decades of doing this, I have never voluntarily not been in the woods at first light.  I can guarantee that for the remaining years I have to do this, I will never, ever, voluntarily not be in the woods at that time.  If I am ever not sitting in the woods at daybreak when spring gobbler hunting, it will be because I was not physically able to get there.  Killing a gobbler at that time is not all that important to me.  I know that I may well have a better chance of killing one a little later on,..but being out there with him when he wakes up IS that important to me!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2022, 12:11:56 PM »
I understand hitting the woods later in the morning IF a guy can't be there at daybreak,...and I also agree that often times, you are likely to find a willing gobbler a little later in the morning.  However, the idea of passing up being in the woods as they wake up and all the wondrous things that occur during those moments,...well, that's just foreign to me.  I don't really care if I kill that gobbler as he comes off the roost at first light, but I sure as heck want to be there to hear him, and maybe see him, when he is getting ready to do that!  To me, THAT is the essence of spring gobbler hunting.

In over five decades of doing this, I have never voluntarily not been in the woods at first light.  I can guarantee that for the remaining years I have to do this, I will never, ever, voluntarily not be in the woods at that time.  If I am ever not sitting in the woods at daybreak when spring gobbler hunting, it will be because I was not physically able to get there.  Killing a gobbler at that time is not all that important to me.  I know that I may well have a better chance of killing one a little later on,..but being out there with him when he wakes up IS that important to me!

Amen to that. Gobblenut never has a bad post. He’s smarter than he looks

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2022, 03:15:15 PM »
The OP said that he could not get in at day light. I would think he had appointments that kept him from getting there at sunrise. So anytime you can get there would be a great time to be there.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2022, 10:49:19 PM »
I'll say your more likely to kill a turkey after 9:00 than before.  If you know a general area where there's turkeys, then go there.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 11:21:01 AM »
I take my kids to school every morning so I don't have the luxury of being out at daylight. I've been forced to hunt the 8:30 Tee time the past several years and it hasn't slowed me down one bit. I killed two hammer last year on hard hunted Pa gamelands and most hunters were back in their trucks when I was going in.
Get one to gobble and try to kill him. That's the plan every time I leave the truck.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls