turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Complete disrespect on public land?

Started by briton, April 06, 2021, 06:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryLNanny

I came up on a couple trucks in the spot I wanted to hunt, plan B, seen no tire tracks heading for plan B, had I'm killed in 15 mins.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

TerryLNanny

By the way, I had a bird 200 yards away from me this morning gobbling at daylight, trying to set up on him, truck came hauling  in , game over. That what you deal with on public land.

briton

Quote from: TerryLNanny on April 06, 2021, 09:25:54 PM
I came up on a couple trucks in the spot I wanted to hunt, plan B, seen no tire tracks heading for plan B, had I'm killed in 15 mins.

Nice! That's awesome, Great Job! These idiots I speak of come in on top of me after me being at the gate first, well before anyone else. I have had other ppl pull up and turn around and go elsewhere, like respectful hunters. I have never once in my life pulled in behind another vehicle that was there before me, Ya snooze ya lose.  I feel like if I were to crank up and leave after they pull in Right behind my truck then that would be inviting the disrespectful behavior. I appreciate the feedback from everyone taking time to reply.

TerryLNanny

Don't waste year season fighting these guys, the turkeys have probably been educated, go find another place.

Kylongspur88

I generally hunt hard to access spots so that tends to separate me from the public on public land. If I ran across those types I'd just move on. Idiots like that aren't worth landing in jail and if everyone is holding guns things might get real ugly.

Wvdanimal

Got no problem getting face to face with stupid people,  made a really good living at it actually.  However,  nobody showed me the ropes to this turkey game. What if t h ese guys are just stupid newbies striving to get to your level. Tuff spot to be in but it "is" their's as much as yours. Patience and  experience may prevail...

TerryLNanny

You're hunting spot has been compromised, I've had it happen multiple times, it's part of hunting public land.

silvestris

I'm with Gooserbat, but I use my trusty valve stem remover, twice.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

RutnNStrutn

Leave them in the woods, go to your truck, let the air out of 2 of their tires, and go to another place.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 06, 2021, 07:59:33 PM
BB under the valve cap X4  and find a new place to hunt.
Exactly what I was thinking!!! I went with 2, not 4. Guess I'm not as mean as you!!!

RutnNStrutn

When I hunt public land, I always scout hard to get to spots where the Walking Wally's aren't. Going the extra mile, or 3, generally leaves the idiots behind. That's when I use my STAV. "Stealth Turkey Attack Vehicle". This is a picture of me, my STAV, and a limb hanger Osceola that I biked in 3 miles on a heavily pressured FLA WMA to find unpressured birds.

Old Gobbler

I know your frustrated... ive been there,  and refuse to allow myself get into these situations anymore

Getting early to a public spot to try and reserve a spot , is more easily translated into YOU KNOW YOUR GOING TO GET MESSED WITH  , there are spots here in Florida,  I avoid like the plauge and yet other guys frequent them , some have been SHOT by other hunters thats how bad they are ...like mentioned before ..mountain bikes ..ive gone 4 miles each way ...canoe hours of rowing its a PIA but you will get on more birds and kill.way more

Size up the situation? Avoid "low hanging fruit situations " those easy to get to spots ... also ill point out if its readily available to hunt for the public ...the birds are also killed off,  or well educated ...either way if you hunt spots like this EASY ACCESS spots that are PUBLIC ...do not be surprised when the competition shows up , in fact in my home state of Florida,  if you hunt any public non quota area that does not require a 1+ hour walk  and some yahoo doesn't ruin your hunt its a miracle......if you actually heard a bird gobble a even bigger miracle,  and if a Gobbler actually came into shot gun range ....a act of divine intervention

The turkeys are easy its the people that are the problem  i adopted this mantra 30 years ago.... if other people know about a spot , its easy to access ...I DONT HUNT IT ,  start targeting the most inaccessible,  difficult to get to , and remote spots you or any hunter can access ...thats where the relaxing easy going hunts are at , the spots that haven't been picked over , killed off etc..

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

grayfox

I feel your pain. Been hunting public land for many years. I've about seen it all & could probably write a book on it. I meet some pure jerks but I have also met & become friends with some good people. It's got to the point that nothing really surprises me anymore what some idiots will do. Best thing is just move on & find another spot.

Spitten and drummen

I dont agree with what these azz clowns are doing and also their lack of ettiquet but wether you agree or not and no matter if you like it or not , in the end it is public. Go elsewhere or rathole money through the year to lease some private. It sucks but thats the world we now live in. I am waiting to see their youtube video.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sixes

Who knows, they may be on another forum cussing you.

Now, no way that I could do this, but you might ask if they would like to learn how to actually hunt, they might have no clue what they are trying to do.